1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, they're outlawing Happy Meals, huh?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    If only there was some way a parent could stop their kids from getting Happy Meals™.

3. it's funny how parent's are able to spend all that effort on banning happy meals, but somehow find it really difficult to just not go to McDonalds

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

this .
    ... and this .

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    not buying them, isint an option:p

the link diddnt work, but i dont think i want to read it...

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Read the article.
    Restaurants can still give away toys, just not package them in high calorie, high sugar, high fat, high sodium meals. It doesn't apply only to McD's - all fast food restaurants.
    That's a strong incentive to buy the packaged meal instead of making smarter choices.
    Right now, the way it works is "Mommy mommy buy me a happy meal so I can get (cool toy)!"
    Get the toy with whatever food you order - not only with the high profit, low health alternative.

Parents can make the choices. But in the USA today, an awful lot of parents don't.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    After seeing the overall positive reaction to this law (not this thread, but on other sites), I can't help but think about something. It seems like people are real selective when it comes to "keeping the government out of their lives". Think about it, Happy Meals are outlawed and they love this law, because our kids are obese. At the same time, being that kids are being gunned down at an alarming rate, how well do you think a gun ban would have been received? Kids are dying from drunk driving and alcohol poisoning, how loud do you think the cheers for the return of prohibition would be?

This law ain't protecting kids, it's just freeing up spineless parents from having to make a parental decision. Do you really think Happy Meals are the only reason why these kids are fat asses? If they're so concerned about the health and fitness of kids, why are they getting rid of PE and other athletic programs in schools?

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What is Username supposed to eat!?

9. however, you can just buy the toy--the parent's probably never asked. I remember as a kid in the early 90s I could go up and just buy the toy for 2 bucks, unless the McDonald's by my house was operating against McDonald's law.

I agree with this. A happy meal won't make a kid obese. However, a mix of eating a lot of happy meals along with decreased physical activity (videogames anyone?) and the human body just doesn't burn the calories off, it needs activity!

In my opinion, there is no inherently bad foods, just ones with high calories, fat content, sodium, etc...your body can process it and keep healthy as long as you take the correct measures--granted things like Big Macs take more effort to process than carrots, but that's the cost.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That county needs to meet Jamie Oliver.

-Mike

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    LOLZ

My kids used to love happy meals. They are thin and active and the fat didnt make a frigging difference at all. And some of the toys were kinda cool So now we are all punished to protect the few. Again. :rolleyes:

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe that was his point. Just a little clarification for the sarcasm impaired.

bc

13. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Clearly you've never tasted my ex-wife's cooking.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The government needs to take over McDonald's so they can more easily regulate their product line. Banning one product at a time is inefficient.

15. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
  16. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty

Oct 1, 2007
    Seattle
    Warmoth - Marketing Director
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

“A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both, and deserve neither." - Thomas Jefferson

17. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    We have become a nation of fools.

18. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When I saw the thread title I figured the Happy Meals were banned because they discriminate against unhappy people.

19. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Personal accountability is incompatible with The Nanny State.

20. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    fixt