1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So this got me ticked off this morning...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Music and race. Do let's keep this on music and culture rather than politics, hmmm?

Apparently Hampshire College cancelled a gig on an Afrobeat band when people found out most of its members are white. A facebook debate among students on whether that was "cultural appropriation" turned nasty and the administration decided that they couldn't guarantee a "safe and healthy event."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...obeat-band-shokazoba-too-white_n_4174231.html

So much for music crossing all barriers, no?

2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    They should book a gig in the same town, on the same day and at the same time and throw an alternative party

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Weren't a bunch of people confused when Buddy Holly and the Crickets turned out to be white?

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    would they book Living Color for a rock show? This is stupid. I got into Blues and Jazz , primarily thru white artists "culturally appropriating" black American music. If it were not for the white artists I never would have found out about the black ones. These are college kids, while they mean well they sometimes fail to "get it"

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that would be a good trick.

Anyway, here goes-
    On a certain Cheers episode, Norm lost a lucrative gig as an interior decoirator for some yuppie couple/friends of Frasier/Lilith.
    Frasier explained to Norm that certain people insist their chefs be French, their auto mechanics be German, their interior decorators be...fashionable.
    In other words, 'mental models'.

Hampshire College, huh?
    ...I'm having a mental model for that institution.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was in The Buddy Holly Story movie (w/ Gary Busey).
    From what I've read, Steppenwolf's 1st hit "Sookie, Sookie" was big on R&B radio...until...I guess the LP came out with their mugs on the cover?
    Of course, it's stoopid.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Meh. I am still bitter about Pat Boone, so I figure I'll try and stay consistent with this.

8. hrodbert696

Reminds me of the documentary about Fishbone. Apparently the record company decided to assign them to the "Black Music" department - they actually had such a thing - since the band members were black. Of course, the agents over there handled R&B and hip hop and had no idea what to make of them, so they just kind of got hung out to dry, fell between the cracks, however you want to put it.

I understand some concern over "appropriation," since there is a history of black songwriters and artists not getting properly credited or paid when Elvis or whoever covered their songs and made millions. But my understanding is this is an originals group. Is one forbidden to be inspired by people of other races now?

9. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I like that they didn't take the money. The virtual middle finger if you will.

10. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    University tolerance (and often people of university age) is of the "you need to understand ME", not the "I need to understand YOU" variety. From my reading of the article, opinions were swayed by webtrolls, which lead to the decision.

I understand the band's disappointment and distain for the pay offered, but they should have taken their pay as punishment to the University, and perhaps made a socially relevant contribution of it to a suitable charity.

11. Political corectness run amok! I'm a white guy, so I probably shouldn't be allowed to slap....

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    There's no better way of sticking it to the man than sticking it to yourself. That'll show 'em.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. EXACTLY this. You are considered "tolerant" as long as you 100% agree with the views held by the "enlightened ones" who run the place. 99% is not good enough. If you disagree on ONE major issue, you are a boob..... and not worth even having a discussion with.

14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the Average White Band were so called after a friend of the singer said that Uganda was 'too hot for the average white man'...and the name followed as a sort of tongue-in-cheek joke after the band decided that they were anything but average.

I'm happy to be corrected by any 70's disco cats out there :)

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A lot of Afrobeat bands are multi cultural, one of my favorites is Antibalas.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I hear this position a lot, and in my experience, which I concede is anecdotal and only generalizable to the state universities I have been associated with, alternative viewpoints are definitely welcome. Usually the people who complain that their alternative viewpoints aren't respected fail to realize that it's usually because they're not that well-reasoned or empirically supported.

I remember editing and grading papers was one of my grad assistant duties one semester. There was one particular student who took an extremely different position than my faculty supervisor. I spent a lot of time writing on his papers, not because he held a position that was ideologically different than mine, but because they were filled with such fallacious reasoning - appeals to authority, appeals to tradition, begging the question, logic gaps, epistemological errors, misuses of statistics, etc. - regardless of any partisan belief. I always did commend him for attempting to think more deeply about the subject matter, though.

I have a doctoral cohortmate who, while not extremely conservative, is probably more conservative than the average social science or humanity grad student. AFAIK, he's never been denigrated or censored by any faculty member or classmate for his views. He's also very intelligent (probably a certifiable genius), well-spoken, and is able to articulate a very well-reasoned viewpoint. He's made me consider my assumptions about things more than once, and I have made him reconsider his on different occasions as well.

With that said, this whole ordeal with the band sounds rather asinine. A further look at the comments suggests that one of the band members escalated the situation, which doesn't really do a lot for their image. But it still doesn't change the essence of the original issues: That some thought the band was "too white" to be playing that style of music.

17. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thank God they weren't around to stop Elvis.

18. hrodbert696

I've seen it both ways. There are faculty who genuinely believe in open discussion and rewarding students of any viewpoint who are able to support their views. I've also seen some who treat the lectern as a bully pulpit and create an intimidating environment for anyone of different opinion. My wife was openly mocked for her beliefs in the classroom by some of her professors. I was luckier.

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Gigging is a challenge all the time.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks for sharing!

People still see colour when hearing music?
    That's just pathetic and REALLY sad I think.