Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, this is a little creepy.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by popinfresh, Oct 16, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, there's this mate from school (year above me) who i've known for a long time. He's generally a quiet guy and is always friendly (one of those people who wouldn't hurt a fly). He's a really REALLY tall guy, not really big as in weight size, but yeah. Kinda imagine a gentle giant, yes?
    Anyway, my mum's being working a bit more lately, and because i'm just not old enough to drive, i've either being walking home (a long way) or trying to scab lifts. This one mate tends to always give me lifts, especially if my girlfriend is with me.
    Now lately, my girls being having some trouble at her home, so she's being living with me quite a bit at our house. This means she needs lifts as well. Guess who will allways go out of their way to give her a lift to mine, even if it's in the middle of school and they don't have a free class unlike my girlfriend? Yes, the 'gentle giant'.
    Now the other day he took her home, and asked if he could come in and say hi to my dad (he knew him when he was in primary school), my girl said yeah sure, but she didn't know if he was home. Anyway, dad wasn't home, yet he stayed at my place for about 30-45mins sitting on the couch next to my girlfriend even though he had school to go back to.
    Then the day or so after, he and my girlfriend both had free periods at school and were sitting next to each other, he then asked if she was going to the validictory dinner (graduation, it's their last year). After she said yes, he asks if she'd like to sit next to him on his families table. As soon as he said it, he says in a patronising sort of tone 'Oh you won't will you, you'll want to sit with Shane (me) somewhere... won't you?'.
    Then last night at a friends 18th party, he asked my girlfriend what she would be wearing to the grad. dinner. He then proceeded to say that she should wear a dress like she wore to the debutante ball last year as he really liked it and thought she looked really hot in it (something he'd never say to another chick, especially a sort of friend).

So anyway, does anyone else find these recurring events getting a little wierd? He's the sort of guy that doesn't 'get' many girls and tends to have things such as 'adult' photos and vids on his phone and other things..

Anyone else ever experience something like this? lol.

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    YES, there are some men that some women can just not be friends with. (<<== BIG PERIOD)

It's sad and difficult from her standpoint becuase if she doesn't want a relationship with him she is going to have to be rude and blunt about it. ANY friendly signs will be misread by this guy as a hint of a chance that something will develop in the future. Both you and she should sever any involvement with him. IMO the best way out is one where he hates her ( but not in the "I want her dead" way...). From what you've described, and my similar experiences, they cannot be friends.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He's putting the moves on your girl. It's going to happen to you time and time again. Aslong as you're cool with her and she's cool with you you've got nothing to worry about.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah I know. I know she'd never do anything to lead him on intentionally. It's just a bit wierd because i've known this guy for a long time, and he's known my girlfriend for a long time as well.

LajoieT - Yeah, good point.. It'd just be wierd though trying to make him not like her (and not get angry at the same time). He gets angry with things such as losing b'ball games etc and can get pretty pissed off. I just wouldn't him to do that in a situation like this..

5. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Time to use your bass for it's secondary purpose!

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    From what you said, yes he is trying to get with your girl. I've found IME that guys who go the extra step, especially those "friends" who give rides when it would inconvience them, hang around for 30 or 45 min. when you aren't around, etc. are just trying to get into a girls pants. Not to mention he's openly hitting on her, I mean that right there is trouble. Just play it cool, don't bug her about it, but let her know that you've noticed it. Laugh about it, and see if you can't scab a ride off someone else.

Sorry to hear about your girl's family problems, I've had a fair amount of that the last few weeks here. If you want any advice, (not that you would anyway) pm me.

AuG

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Teenage boy hits on best friends girlfriend - Yeah, I think everybody has been there or at least seen it. Pretty common scenario.

Sometimes, kids, that girl will dump you and start dating your best friend - That's when you have to learn to buck up and stay friends with your buddy. Remember, bros before... awe, never mind.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    He's trying to destroy your relationship so he can have YOU all to himself.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

He's playin' your girl and ain't no friend.

10. YO HES HITTIN ON YOUR WOMAN ! KNOCK THAT FOO' THE BLEEP OUT !

Seriously, go confront him. What he is doing isn't cool. If he has enough confidence to pull this crap off behind your back than he has the confidence to find someone else to be with.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What does your girlfriend say about it?

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Git him back by hittin' on his mom.

13. hey now, don't be suggesting to knock him out, more trouble in that. He is making moves on your girl though. I suggest talking with both of them in a respectful manner.

14. +1

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Tell your girlfirend not to shave for a month and grow a beer gut... that will stop people from hitting on her...

Horay for bearded chicks and horay for beer...

Something like this...

[​IMG]

Of course you will have to be drunk 24/7 too so she would look good to you... but there is nothing wrong with that...

16. Interesting way of solving the problem, Kserg...

Usually girls really take offense when somebody is trying to get a girl who is already in a relationship. Over here anyway. But all is fair i love and war, hey. He is trying to steal your girlfriend, as has been said, and is not a real friend of yours.

17. "We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
    'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
    Well they're no friends of mine"

Replace dance with "Leave your girlfriend alone" and you get an inspiring message.

18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Smooth James. Smooooooth.

19. Brilliant deduction, Holmes. ;)

20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I still hold to my original statement, your relationship with her notwithstanding, it is NOT in her best interest (and in reality not in his best interest either, but he doesn't understand that yet, and may never) to maintain ANY positive contact with him. I have seen this behavior quite a few times, both in your situation, and with other girls I am legitimate friends with. ANY friendly behavior on her part towards him (accepting rides, talking, there is NOTHING too small) will be taken as a sign that there may be something between them.