Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So this is the kind of slap that makes people dislike it...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
  2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland

3. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Mark King is in Level 42, yeah? His slapping there is actually very groovy and funky, he doesn't really go like that in his music.

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    yeah i saw that too, very out of character for him, although he does tend to slap for the sake of slapping alot.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, i know mark king is doesn't just slap like this, it was just an example.

I dont remember the name of the song that usually gets posted here, newtake 19 or something.

Anyway, that's a butt kicking slap line. :bassist:

Anyone have tab for that one?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I didn't get to hear that video since my soundcard has issues, but I've always respected Mark King's skill level but have never been a huge fan of his playing or music. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are probably right, Suckbird. of course, add in all the people who do pale imitations of Mark King...they certainly don't help.

7. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    That's just solo flash - which DOES make a lot of people hate slapping - but Mark King is far tastier/groove oriented in an actual song. Give some old Level 42 a listen!

But yes, it does make me want to never slap again (or to rip my own head off) when people think that's the only way to sound impressive on the bass.

Non-musicians don't help, either. Watch an audience go nuts when a rock guitar player starts some speedy tapping nonsense, usually above the 12th fret. Or fast playing in general. Doesn't matter if it's musical, as long as it's FAST. Same thing with this type of slapping. "AWESOME, DUDE!" And frankly, we musicians tend to make it worse by pandering to this type of response by playing this way.

I'm not saying never use chops, but we should have some taste.

8. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I like MK and this seems to me like the end of a concert after all the encores. He probably wanted to give to the crowd a little something.
    SB

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually, white boys slap with their thumbs down.

10. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    how can you say that is bad its the best slap ive ever seen

11. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Keep searching. ;)

12. Yep, you DEFINITELY need to get out more IMHO. ;) ;)

13. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England

not for groviness or anything just for the pure skill level involved, i mean theres probably only a handfull of people that can slap like that, im sure this guy could lay down some funky rythms aswell, im sure its just a show off thinghe does

14. Sure -- but that doesn't make this clip less lame.

15. IMHO, you are confusing "skill level" with a technique which enables you to "play" very quickly. I'm still a little lost as to what it is supposed to prove though. :meh: :meh:

Don't get me wrong, I loved Level 42 in their early days and I wouldn't be surprised if Mr King was heartily bored with having to "jump through the hoops" every time he plays live. :( :(

If we accept that "Less IS more", then surely that video clip can't exist, can it?? :confused: :confused: :D :D

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    listen to larry graham. plays at 1/4 the speed normally, but makes you subconsiously bop your head. :D

btw, this is the aforementioned 'white boy slap'. i'm a white boy (tanned actually since i'm of middle eastern descent) and i hate that. even if it was just a show off/end of concert thing.

this is gonna sound really arrogant, but i believe that almost any novice bass player would be able to randomly slap like that given a week's practice.

Edit: were you being sarcastic? me thinks you were but forgot the smiley ;)

17. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I believe that this is an old video may be 10 to 15 years old.
    That was before Victor Wooten's time and he plays that kind of stuff today.
    I think VW got a little kick in the butt with this kind of"white boy slap"!
    IMO
    SB

18. Mark king seems to get some bad wraps because of his amazing techique. He was doing this stuff without double thumping way before Wooten. Sure it has not some Miller pulse but it was never meant to be. I have now come to appreciate Mark King as a true innovator. It is more Stan, than Wooten, especially his chordal stuff but it has an individual voice.
    Sure its trebly and with those ridiculous light gauge strings but hey it speaks.

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I remember reading an interview with Mark King where he said that he doesn't want to slap anymore.

20. I Think that what happens with slap is that although its is rhytmically brilliant the melodic side of bass playing can suffer.
    I have always been a finger style funk man who can play a bit of slap. What i find sad is still in 2005 people thinking that slap is cooler. But you know I think slap to a certain extent is over its peak. It is an essential part of any bassists arsenal but now only a part.
    I mean I am sure there are thousands of guys who can slap like King but can anyone play the bass line to There's Too Much Oil In The Ground by Rocco without having to go holy ****!!!!!!!!! The definitive answer is no.
    Where have been the fingerstyle innovators. Perhaps, Pallodino of course, who else.
    You know why because its a damn sight harder to play fingerstyle funk convincingly than slap. IT IS JUST MY OPiIONION.
    It seems to be a lost art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.