So this is what happens when you give a bassist a guitar...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002

That guy can certainly groove.
  2. guitarists just love stealing our glory :mad:

3. I've seen this before. Very groovy and cool. But he is a flamenco guitarist. Not a bassist. Althought I do not doubt he could tear it up on a bass.

I've also heard that flamenco guitarists can play upwards of a hundred notes a second. Take that Yngwie:oops:

;) :bassist:
  4. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002

Makes me want to buy an acoustic guitar....

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Note to self: buy acoustic guitar, apply bass slapping and tapping skills. Destroy. Destroy.
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A hundred notes a second? No, very doubtful. Think about it! :rolleyes:
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Don't know.... I've heard Flamenco players who were even faster and more accurate than that clip. Classical guitarists can get strangely speedy, too. Must have something to do with the early training...
  8. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    If you think he's awesome, pickup the DVD of Victor Wooten Live at Bassday 1998 and go to the piece where he invites his older brother Reggie on stage, he does all the things that Victor does on an electric fender guitar. And then the two of them begin to exgange solos....
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And if you think that regi's awesome, you haven't heard his one of his students Robert Provine, this kid was playing so fast I couldn't track his hands!

:meh: :rolleyes:
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Very cool. Sonically it reminded me very much of some of Michael Hedges' stuff.
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I've got the video, and call me a blasphemer, but I dig this guy's style a bit more. The acoustic guitar (instead of Strat) probably has alot to do with it. More "meat."

12. You know, I've always wondered if people slap and pop on I know!
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hrm. Its not that fast, really.
  14. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
  15. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I just love Regi's tapped intro to 'Vulcan Worlds'. His sound during the "thump off" on that DVD is pretty atrocious. I have an mp3 of a thump-off (bootleg?) - they play the same phrases but much more cleanly and with a better tone.

I'd love to hear more from Regi Wooten.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He used to play in a local Top 40 band around here(circa mid '80s) called The that time, Regi reminded me of Hiram Bullock. It's been awhile since I've heard him.
    Rudi Wooten on sax(es)...i.e. two at a time, is just amazing(Bird meets 'Trane?).

Regarding "speed"-
    I was re-reading an old Guitar Player that had the cover story of "Speed-How To Get It, How To use It"...the author of the article came up with "one can only get but so fast".
    He proved this by entering a phrase of 4 notes in a sequencer; then he increased the speed & increased the speed & increased the speed, etc...
    Eventually, the phrase became a gliss. The human ear could no longer discern each individual note.
    His estimate for the "gliss" = 1,300 notes per minute; his belief is that humans can only get as fast as 1,000 notes per minute.
  17. well, just because the ear cant tell the difference doesnt mean the hand cant surpass the ear's capabilities