1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So this "Sherwood Green" thing... Fender or ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porksicle, Dec 28, 2016.

Fender or ???

Poll closed Dec 29, 2016.
  1. Fender

9.4%
  2. ???

90.6%
  1. Porksicle

Porksicle

May 16, 2008
    Taylor, MI
    Got an offer for this in a trade today by a random Craigs-lister. He's not able to find a serial on any visible area of the bass, but has never had it apart. These are the exact 3 photos I received.

I have to say that I've never seen anything like this in looks-like-Sherwood green. I'm going to go see it tomorrow and tear it apart to identify, but I figured we'd have some fun first...

So what say you? Fender or ???

Fender 1. Fender 2. Fender 3.

2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    most likely......no

Aqualung60 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Do you really want to go to to the trouble to tear that apart? As always, if it's a nice player it might be a consideration.

4. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    2013 American Standard Jazz Bass was offered in Jade Pearl Metallic as was its 5 string counterpart. It would really bother me if there are no numbers on the back of the head.

MattZilla likes this.
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    JPM was only offered on American J basses, this aint one of those

6. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I believe in the early 80s Fender used this color for a bass, and a bit in the 90s for The Strat.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Squier offered that color.
    I'd have to think Fender did, too.
    2lk91lc.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The headstock looks wrong.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Ulf Buck, JGbassman, Duder and 3 others like this.
  9. Porksicle

Porksicle

May 16, 2008
    Taylor, MI
    We have more pics... of tuners Fender 4.

and a backplate...

Fender 5.

Almost 100% it's that Squier in jd56hawk's post...

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. I don't see any serial numbers on it. PASS!

11. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    Agree completely! Look at it and compare with a real one and the contour is all wrong.

12. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    100% FAKE!

nerkoids, RBrownBass and StayLow like this.
  13. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    What's the value? That's much more important to me vs is it real or not. If its a player and its a fair trade I'd jump on it. Plenty of guys here playing parts bases and loving them. I would check it out in person and plug it in.

RyanKW and Felken like this.
  14. Well based on the tuners and the headstock truss access it is likely some sort of import neck. The decal was added so it's likely a Squier neck that has the identifying marks sanded off and the Fender decal applied. The body and electronics are unknown. I would probably put a price on it of $150 tops if it played nicely.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  15. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    70's logo on headstock but no block inlays? It's a fake

jamro217 and Felken like this.
  16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds about right to me. Squier or not, it's a parts bass and the hardware does not suggest it's a top quality instrument.
    It may, indeed, be a great player but that doesn't mean it has any more monetary value than any other parts bass of similar quality.

jamro217 likes this.
  17. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    It's a generic Chinese fake that costs about $70 *NEW*, shipped, sometimes with a cheap cable included, so actual "instrument" value more like $30. Bunk tuners, pots, bridge, etc.

Could be fun to have, or use as a backup, but not worth more than $10-25 MAX in trade and I respectfully suggest that if you have any morals you'll sand the logo off before passing it along someday unlike the wannabe POS scammer that's trying to trade it to you.

The whole "I can't find a serial number" is blatant "doth protest too much, me thinks". The wannabe scammer seems to have a wall full of fakes, and likely knows it's a fake. No one with a wall full of real Strats, even if MIM or Squier, is stupid enough to think that bass is legit much less with no visible serial #. I mean that as a goodwill compliment to the wannabe scammer's intelligence, not as an accusation, but he could just be a moron.

If you do check it out, maybe ask him directly if he's sure it's legit. If he says yes, I'd say "I trust you, because if it turns out to be fake I know where you live so only a total idiot would try to pass off a fake to a cop ... by the way, can I check out those sweet-looking Strats?"

Get some entertainment if you're gonna waste your time driving across town.

18. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    That '70's era decal is easy to get. Also, a real Jazz wouldn't have chrome knobs, but most copies and kits come so equipped like my Saga Jazz kit.

jamro217 and Felken like this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I concur.

Is it a real bass guitar? That might be worth considering. If resale ain't no thang...

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Definitely a fake

Gord_oh likes this.