Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So time to switch...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey guys I'm 16 and have been playing 3 years roughly.During the summer I saved to get a good bass because the Squire P just wasn't cutting it anymore.So anyway I got a 2nd hand Warwick Dolphin Pro II.I recently got it set up and still find it hard to play so I am going to sell/trade it.But I do like the sound.Now to the fun stuff.

I don't want to spend anymore money so I must sell or trade.I like jazz bass type instruments to play.I play Incubus/RHCP type stuff with my band.
    So any suggestions for basses under $1000?Preferably 4 or 5 string.

Thanks so much

Mike O Connell

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Try look at spectors.. They have nice slap tone for RHCP, and they sound good finger style.

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    The thing is I live in Ireland and I can't really try any nice stuff!

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dang. You went from a Squier P-bass to Warwick Dolphin!?

Stingray

5. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yup,it was a 3 year wait though!And its the old discontinued Dolphin not as expensive as a Pro I

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was really impressed with the cheaper warwick bolt on bass (maybe a fortress?) that was available with a j style pickup config or a MM style pickup. I've seen them used for 700 us. I'm sure they must be pretty available there. What was it about the dolphin that made it uncomfortable?

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Another vote for the Spector. Try their UK distributor 'Sound Control'. They have a website.... :bassist:

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I dono i just seem to get really tired playing it.Keep em comin guys

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Warwick necks are kinda thick and clunky, some people like this but in my opinion it will tire you out quickly...
    I'm guessing you're in the US looking for a 4 string? Fender Geddy Lee's have very thin necks, I'd recomment looking into maybe Lakland Skylines/MTD Import lines as well. MTD necks are VERY easy to play.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Are there any used MIA Jazz basses in your area? If you can find one, give it a try.

11. I think you can't go wrong with a MIA Fender Jazz. They play nicely and sound great. If active electronics are your thing try an American Deluxe, which has a 3 band EQ and great sound. I have one of those and couldn't be much happier.

12. I'll second a StingRay.

13. flaghard

flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    gotta love the StingRay

14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Flea played a stingray for some whil so i third that.

and ratm does rule

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I recommend a Lakland Skyline or a Stingray. Either should fit the bill nicely for what you are looking for.

16. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    stingray

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do that Ray. Do that Ray.

18. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    If he prefers Jazz feel over Precision feel, I'd recommend the Sterling. Or the Bongo.

19. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks guys.I'm considering American Jazzes,Lakland JOs and DJs(I presume these all play fairly similarly) Stingrays and Sterlings.Lets keep it alive!

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure if its because of the year, but my '97 Warwick Corvette has got one of the slimmest necks I've ever played (both width of the board, and thickness of the neck). Its very similar to the smaller Ibanez necks.