1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So...tri-tones

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass555, May 10, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Totally agreed, I also love the sound of the 6th and the flat third in the Dorian scale, it has a "cool" sound to it that the regular minor pentatonic is lacking. I know not everyone likes video game music, but check out this song:

http://208.49.149.120/files/jukebox/shock1/%5BGreg%20Lo%20Piccolo,%20Tim%20Ries%5D%20-%20Shock%201%20-%20The%20Reactor%20(Mac%20Mix).mp3

The distorted "guitar riff" at the end is one of the coolest riffs know, probably because it has a consecutive Dorian 6th and 3rd.

Filter's awesome "Hey Man, Nice Shot" riff is Dorian, too, although it doesn't have a consecutive 3rd and 6th.

Aw, crap, I was wrong. The song I posted doesn't have a tritone, it has the flat 7th and the 3rd played consecutively, so it's a regular fifth. Still sounds cool, though.

2. But that's way in the past. Times have changed. Back then the Earth was flat everywhere, instead of the guitar player.

Randy :eek:

3. I think I'd agree with the general sentiment of the tri-tone that it sucks when used against the respective root, but is awesome when played modally as in the above or like for me when I play the locrian mode over the 2nd of the scale. Or rather, when I play the a maj chord following the 2nd of a progression.

by Pklima

+1 I know exactly what you mean, especially for beginning players.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    can somebody explain this

like root, steps till next note in scale, steps till last note in scale,

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sorry what?
    A tritone is the only symmetrical interval (same interval going up or down)
    Whereas an ascending major 3rd is a descending minor 6th and so fourth.
    A tritone is a sharp 4 or a flat 5.

If that isn't what you're asking then I'm confused.

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Indeed. Like Pacman said, there are some good threads on tritone substitution in GI. Very useful to anyone playing in a jazz context.