1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"So, uh.. What's it worth?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RTL, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Okay, so I hate doing this.. But I think I have a legitimate piece to inquire about. Here goes!

1968 Fender Precision
    Originally olympic white - transparent brown refin
    Original pickups/pickguard/hardware
    Late '70's Jazz neck (maple/maple board - pearl blocks & binding)

It's in great condition, and I know the two previous owners, which goes back to before the Jazz neck went on it. They can verify the originality of the rest of the instrument.

Fender gurus - whatcha think?

2. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Refin + mixed parts = $600 tops for me. Assuming it played well.

3. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Really? I figured at least a grand, considering all the important stuff is still there (pots/pickups/hardware/tort guard), save for the neck. But that's a cool neck!

I don't have pics of it, unfortunately.. The current owner has it stuck in a pawn shop, and needs $1300 to get it out. I have a chance to scoop it, but I'm not really sure it's worth what he has in it...

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I agree.

Anyway, how do you authenticate a "vintage" body that's been refinished? :rollno:

5. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    For Fender collectors, the "important stuff" is "all the stuff" from the same year, original condition.

If I've got that kind of money to spend ($1k or so), I'm not going to waste my time on a parts bass, I'm going to find one in original condition, even if it means one a few years older into the mid 70s or so.

But that's just me, and how I view the vintage Fender community.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Sounds like a parts bass to me.

7. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Simple. The original owner was the one who did the refin, and he happens to work for me. Also, he bought the bass brand new in 1970.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's only presumptive. And foolish.

When I was appraising professionally, I never made that assumption because the odds were good that the body was later and a few pieces had been cobbled together to legitimize far more ground than they really covered.

I totally got out of "vintage" Fender stuff years back because buyers were so willfully credulous that they were buying faked-up Frankenjunk at amazing prices as "restored" and "refinished" vintage gear and thereby ruining the market. They wanted desperately to be fooled and got mad when I wouldn't go along with it.

In my book, there's all-original and then there's scrap, only good for its player value.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well... Here's my deal. I think that you should PLAY it. If it plays and sounds great to you, and you have the cash, get it. Worst case you have a bass that you love with some vintage mojo to it. If you can verify the aeg of some of the parts you can sell them later and get more than you invested in the bass. For example, if you can see the numbers in the neck pocket of the body, or if you can see the numbers on the pickups, or on the neck etc., those parts would bring a lot of money on Ebay. We've seen a thread recentl of a pickguard from that era going for (I think it was) $475. If YOU like it, go for it. It will all work out in the end.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The provenance is presumptive, then, and you believe him.

Better than believing some mook on eBay, I suppose.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Probably about a $1000 worth of parts on the bass give or take a couple hundred. You'd probably about break even if you bought it for $1300 and sold the neck, pickguard, pickup/controls, tuners, bridge and body as seperates. If you could pick it up for under a $1000 and part it out in pieces you'd be better off from an investment standpoint.
    But then there's always the "player" option - if you like the looks and the feel and the sound and don't have any illusions about it ever being worth more than you paid for it $1300 may be ok as a player or mojo bass.

12. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Nothing presumptive about it.. The original owner sold it to the guy who owns it now. No mods other than the refin and Jazz neck (both of which were done by the original owner some time around '78 or '79). He has nothing to gain by lying about this instrument, since he is not affected either way if I decide to buy it.

If I don't buy it, the pawn shop keeps it. Simple as that :)

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like new parts. Assembled together at the same time with one serial number. I hold onto it in its original condition for as long as I like it and then sell it as I bought it.

That retains value more than any other mod I can think of.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Pics are needed!

15. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I think I'm gonna pass on it. I do like the idea of an old Precision with a Jazz neck, but I could probably find something that plays and sounds just as good for cheaper than what this one would cost me. I hate parting anything out, so that would pretty much be out of the question. I haven't even played this one yet, but unless it blows me away (most P's don't), I think I'll look for something else.

Thanks a lot for all the input, guys!

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's called, "maintaining the integrity of the instrument."
    You're right.

It's why I consistently advise against the halfwitted "mods" and "improvements" and "refins" eftards here are always begging for encouragement to commit on otherwise inoffensive instruments.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Dealers, curbstone or otherwise, find mods "perplexing," IMHO. This bass might be a great player, but IMHO it is not a valuable instrument from a "serious" sellers point of view. Can ya' tell? :smug:

18. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Brown stain ...

Maple Pearl ...

Pics !!!

:p

19. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    I would buy it for that for parts. The pots and pickups worth 500, pickguard 150, neckplate 80, bridge 100, neck and tuners 300, body 200 and if it has the thumbrest that's another 80. Heck I will buy!