1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, um... anyone else give their bass a name?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nvr2old, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Dec 27, 2012
    Minneapolis
    So I'm now the very proud owner of this fine axe, just arrived today. :hyper:
    attachment.

Words cannot describe, short of I'm not worthy. I've been playing a friend's $200 hand-me-down for three years since I started, and after gigging for a year now promised myself a real bass this year. So after months of following threads and trying every bass I could, nothing felt as nice in my hands as the Roscoe. And then this one pops up with every spec and wood I wanted. Fate.

So, to my question, as it's in route, I told my bandmates that "Billy" is on it's way. This image was in my head and now I have my very own... Billy Baroo.

Cloud 10 :hyper:

2. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Beautiful Bass! Congrats!! :bassist:

And yeah, I name my basses too....:bag:

3. The only one I've named is my great big acoustic EAB Dean....it looks like a giant version of an acoustic 6 string. In honor of Quickdraw McGraw, I've named it El Kabong.

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    My P-Bass is called The Resonator 2: Judgement Bass (The Judge for short)

My Mustang is called Nutsukow

5. looks stunning ! congrats, and yeah I give my basses nicknames, seems to happen organically like 'Billy' did for you...

some include; black beauty, the 'Donath' special, blondie, the beast, baby blue.. etc... not very original I'll grant you...

edit: oh BTW Just named my latest fretless 'Jaco', first real name I've ever given a bass. :bag:

6. Oh gad, I though it was going to be another one of "those threads". :D Congrats on the new bass.

7. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Dec 27, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Ha! Love it.

8. Yup, mine are named the White One, Blue One, Black One, 3TS, Red One and Crappy One.

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I currently have one
    I refer to POS ,,,,and it isn't point of sale.

10. Have 2 basses. The first one is a Squier Standard Jazz antique burst that I named Rita. Most people think I named it after the hurricane, but she was named after Rita Cosby, sounds deep, looks sexy, and I like to make it moan so deep. The second bass I bought is a Fender Blacktop Jazz black on black. Since it is a MIM, I named it Senorita. Both Ritas, next one destined to be named Margarita!

Edit...Just got my hands on a Squier Deluxe Active V Jazz, Margarita seemed like an ill-fitting name for her. She is black and has a really thick neck...so I named her BERTHA!!

11. If it does count, I named my handmade JB "Jazzmaster" because thats how it was described by a previous owner. I also named my frankenbass "Tele Bass" due to design I want to make.

Other things, I used to call my car "Mister Automobile" just like the old adventure book for childrens popular in Poland :p

12. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    For obvious reasons I decided to call her "Blondie".

fender%2520003.

13. I name basses. The name is always female, and always designed to be used like a line in 'Who's-On-First?'

The current one is Hope. From an actual exchange while it was in the shop:

Bandmate: Jamming?
    Me: Can't. I'm Hope-less.
    Bandmate: :confused: .... uh, so what's wrong?

...etc.

... I am easily amused.

14. Billy's a beaut! :cool:

My stable includes "Ricky", "daughter's bass that she doesn't play anymore", "pretty 4-banger", "5-banger".

OK I made that up just now...sort of.

15. Yep my solid white Stingray is called "WhiteRay"!

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Hofner-Lucy
    Big Block P - Diablo
    My first bass 68 Greco violin- Penny
    Line 6 Variax Bass- Sybil (it's 24 basses in one)
    Main P- James
    Hofner CT 185- Eleanor
    Custom Jazz- Luke
    Five String Treker- Mr

I could go on but it's starting to get weird :)

17. Paint-on-Silver?? :D

18. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

Oct 24, 2012
    I have an SR5 with a nitro green finish and a black and grey pickguard, my daughter calls it "The Booger".

19. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I gave 3 of my old basses the same name at the same time - "Stolen".... :mad::rolleyes:

20. My Aria SB1000: her name is "Rio".