Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Very Depressing...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Brent Norton, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Didn't quite know where to post this, but I figured the guys who peruse this forum would be most interested...

So I'm at my luthier's yesterday, where we were finishing up setting up a bass before we knock off for a few days around the holidays. Over in the corner of the shop, I notice something kind of odd... It was a wooden stake, the ~.5" x 1.5" x 4' variety, the kind used to flag utilities or hold up temporary plastic fencing near a building site. The only reason I took any note of it was because it almost appeared as if it was figured...

"What's with the stake, man?" I asked.

"Oh that? Yeah, go check it out," he replies.

So I head over and grab the stake. GASP! It's easily some of the most beautifully flamed curly maple I've ever seen! Flawless... not a void or spec in it. Incredibly even, deep, chatoyant flame throughout...

He tells me he "picked it up" one night along a road where they were doing some construction and resurfacing, and these stakes were being used as markers.

"Musta been hundreds of 'em down there. All curly. All perfect."

On that note...
    Happy Holidays! :bawl:

2. Two things Brent, I had to look up chatoyant. This is in Michigan? Hiway number? State or Interstate or? Hiway Marker # ? This is very depressing!
    I wonder why they didn't use EBONY?

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    First, my apologies, Paul - First time I heard "chatoyant," I had to look it up, too. From then, I found that a single word specifically describing the deep, undulating sort of 'flip-flop' effect as you find on figured woods was easier than decribing "the deep, undulating sort of 'flip-flop' effect as you find on figured woods..."

Second. Apparently, the construction area in question was (sorry, all gone) in Grosse Pointe, which is somewhat of a Detroit anomaly... If you know the city, you're driving in gray, boarded-up, pot-holed stereotypical Detroit one minute, then suddenly - literally as if there's a line - you're on smooth pavement with beautifully landscaped medians and stately old homes. Needless to say, many a well-to-do call GP home, and the choice of stakes just go to prove they spare no expense!

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Cameron Brown's from Grosse Pointe... check this interview about his recent album

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I just finished making a bass using gorgeous curly Aspen for the back and sides. The wood cutter had saved this wood from guys who were taking down trees to make pallets. They didn't want it because it was too "wavy". :rollno:

6. Yeah, i hate that WAVY **** too! :eyebrow:

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    So, what are the downfalls of a bass with an 18-piece back? :)

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i had a curly maple pallet come in two days ago...

9. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a collection of curly maple wooden coat hangers..

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I just had some curly maple for breakfast. Dunno what people see in it...