So wah+distortion users...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Wah --> Distortion

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Distortion --> Wah

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Both

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Noodles

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What ordering do you use? Since I've recently got another distortion pedal, I do one before and one after because it sounds great both ways.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    both sound fine, but I prefer the kind of quack sound I get with wah after the distortion.

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Distortion into wah gives that classic Timmy C sound from the numerous songs on Battle of L.A.

After this Xmas I will have 3 distortion pedals though so I may put one after it...Though I never did see the appeal last time I tried it.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I do both, but I prefer distortion BEFORE the wah. It lets the wah do it's job. I think Wah should be one of the last things in a chain (but before a delay/reverb). Otherwise you are effecting a wahed signal, and it sounds weaker to me.

5. I use one before and after, my signal chain;

Boss ODB-3 ---> Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah ---> EH Big Muff.
    (amoung other pedals)
    I use the ODB-3 with only a sniff of overdrive to help boost the signal, and the big muff to blow everything to hell when i need it (but not often)
    I find the wah sounds SOOOOOO much better with a slight amount of OD passing through.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with Matt Till.

On the other hand, I go both ways sometimes (with order only you sickos) throw one distortion box after the wah for some more variety.

7. i agree with matt till as well. I think put wah before distrotion doesn't sound great...i know cliff burton fans love that sound, but i don't...i seems all you can get is the fully treble sound and the fully bass sound, but no sweep...

personally i like distortion bofore wah, just listen to audioslave's "exploder" or RATM's "war within a breath" to understand!
    I think that is an awesome sound!

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Petary,

It really depends on a lot of factors. I have a distortion before my wah, and one after.

Best answer: depends on the distortion and the wah and what appeals to you, so try out both ways.

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    My V-Wah is limited to the Wah -> Dist/Fuzz and can't handle distorted input :( , but now I have a proper wah (the Dime CryBaby From Hell) I can and will be using both positionings :D cus I can use the V-Wah as a distortion unit until I get my MD-2 back :(

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds like your unit has a problem, since my vwah handles distorted input signal no problem.

11. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Most likely, I Guess.....

I've replaced it now anyway, with the CryBaby From Hell.
    I'm using it as a fuzz box till I get my MD-2 back :(

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021