So wah+distortion users...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Wah --> Distortion

10 vote(s)
  2. Distortion --> Wah

15 vote(s)
  3. Both

7 vote(s)
  4. Carrots

0 vote(s)
  5. Noodles

5 vote(s)
  1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What ordering do you use? Since I've recently got another distortion pedal, I do one before and one after because it sounds great both ways.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    both sound fine, but I prefer the kind of quack sound I get with wah after the distortion.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Distortion into wah gives that classic Timmy C sound from the numerous songs on Battle of L.A.

After this Xmas I will have 3 distortion pedals though so I may put one after it...Though I never did see the appeal last time I tried it.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I do both, but I prefer distortion BEFORE the wah. It lets the wah do it's job. I think Wah should be one of the last things in a chain (but before a delay/reverb). Otherwise you are effecting a wahed signal, and it sounds weaker to me.
  5. I use one before and after, my signal chain;

Boss ODB-3 ---> Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah ---> EH Big Muff.
    (amoung other pedals)
    I use the ODB-3 with only a sniff of overdrive to help boost the signal, and the big muff to blow everything to hell when i need it (but not often)
    I find the wah sounds SOOOOOO much better with a slight amount of OD passing through.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with Matt Till.

On the other hand, I go both ways sometimes (with order only you sickos) throw one distortion box after the wah for some more variety.
  7. i agree with matt till as well. I think put wah before distrotion doesn't sound great...i know cliff burton fans love that sound, but i don't...i seems all you can get is the fully treble sound and the fully bass sound, but no sweep...

personally i like distortion bofore wah, just listen to audioslave's "exploder" or RATM's "war within a breath" to understand!
    I think that is an awesome sound!
  8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

It really depends on a lot of factors. I have a distortion before my wah, and one after.

Best answer: depends on the distortion and the wah and what appeals to you, so try out both ways.
  9. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    My V-Wah is limited to the Wah -> Dist/Fuzz and can't handle distorted input :( , but now I have a proper wah (the Dime CryBaby From Hell) I can and will be using both positionings :D cus I can use the V-Wah as a distortion unit until I get my MD-2 back :(
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds like your unit has a problem, since my vwah handles distorted input signal no problem.
  11. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Most likely, I Guess.....

I've replaced it now anyway, with the CryBaby From Hell.
    I'm using it as a fuzz box till I get my MD-2 back :(