1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So we got audited yesterday...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Diggler, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Worker's Compensation guy came to my house to audit my family's trucking business. Went through and gave him copies of the tax forms, etc, it all went smoothly.

He's walking out, and notices my acoustic bass. "Oh, a bass guitar, acoustic too!" Turns out he plays bass for his church.

On the way out, I told him, "Wait, I have something you might want to see." I bring out the case and he says, "Don't tell me it's a 1966 Fender Precision electric bass, with chrome guards and orange starburst finish." I asked him, "Why would you guess that?" "Oh, that's what I used to have. It was my first bass, by dad bought me new when I was 16. Sold it several years ago."

I had to tell him, when I opened the case, that he was wrong. It was the 1967 Fender Precision electric bass, with chrome guards and orange starburst finish that my dad's dad bought new for him when he was young, and recently handed off to me.

He sure did enjoy checking it out. :) What are the chances??

2. :cool:

Chances?
    Not sure, but my guess would be never again in a lifetime.

3. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    that's really cool.

maybe he'll give you a break:bassist:

4. That's trippy, last night watch a 13 year old girl handed her 1967 P bass that her dad bought her for $7000AU. It's one owner and mint. At first I thought she may not realize what she had but after listening to her talk she was so switched on and totally understood how precious the bass was. She had a nice stingray 5 too. Cools to see the ladies getting into bass and have good taste too.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's awesome. My guy who reads the gas meter is a bassist as well, we always chat up a storm when he comes to read my meter. He always wants to see my new toys.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Very cool! Things like that happen a little more than you'd expect, actually!

My dad owned a '72 Fender Thinline with a custom finish: Salmon Orange. Only two were ever produced. Rivers Cuomo from Weezer was an owner of the other. When my dad decided to sell his, he took it to a show where, IIRC, Gary from Gary's Guitars walked up to him and told him to name his price. It turns out he had bought the other from Rivers, and wanted this to have the matching set.

Another time, one of our good customers, a guy named Doug that lived about two hours away in Mississippi, called to say he was bringing down an old Gibson for us to look at. Dad had an old Gibson he wanted to show to Doug, as well, since he was a collector of old Gibson and Martin acoustics. It turns out the pair of late 40s J-45s were from the same batch, and their serial numbers were only off by 4 or 5 sequence numbers!

7. I still have my dads old 68 Telecaster in my possession. I really want to make the thing playable. The finish on it is still pretty great, but I need someone I trust to take a look at it and give it a good clean up, put new strings, adjust it all, clean the pots.

I wish I could do it myself, but seeing as how old it is I'd just trust someone else I knew to do it more.

Anyone on Long Island interested? :)