So we lost a battle-of-the-bands type show.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 13, 2005.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    And I'm thinking its on the premise of audience turnout because the venue grades on audience and uniqueness and there isn't a doubt in my mind that we were the most unique band up there. I mean, we played against nothing BUT screamo/hardcore bands and 1 white-rap duo (not even a backing band!). Sigh... :crying:

Anywho... anyone have tips on gaining a large fanbase early on?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Don't let it get to ya - music's not a competition.
    Just play out, have fun, if people like ya you'll get your fanbase.

3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    did you have to sell tickets?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A lot of times there is a favorite local band that everyone came to see anyways. They usually win. Happened with me.
  5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    They're all rigged. All of them.
  6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Most folks only know what they like, not necessarily who's talented, who's good, etc. Me, personally, I think a lot of the stuff out there today is crap. You don't have to have technical skills, e.g., you don't have to know what a scale is, ... you just have to be able to play the style du jour, or sample it. Voila ... instant hit.

Again, speaking only for myself, I find little to appreciate in bands like Live, Blink 182, etc. Sure, they sell a *&#load of records, but the fact is they're not very good technically. No one is going to remember them ten years from now. Led Zep, the Who, Rush, Yes, etc. will be remembered (and played) on the radio (like they are today) years from now. Why? Because they're good, period. They can play. Live? Who cares. Nirvana? The only reason anyone remembers them is that Kurt Cobain offed himself, and his wife does outrageous *(it from time to time that gets in the news. Finally, do we see a rush on boxed sets of Pearl Jam? Nope.

Think about it. Are you humming the bassline to "Can't find a better man," or "another one bites the dust?" Yep, that's what I thought.

Flame away.

7. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    aw... so much hate, alan.

More on-topic, don't worry, BOBs aren't really a good judge of a band's talent. I've seen far too many worthless bands win something like this to care anymore.
  8. I'm sorry but there's still plenty of young people who'll sing along to "I'm a Believer" and the Monkees couldn't even play. Or the Ramones, which will be remembered much longer than Rush(most people under 25 have not heard of Rush at all and 70's prog in general will soon be forgotten as there's really very few new fans discovering that music, at least in my perception)

I've sworn to never take part in a battle of the bands again unless it is absolutly necessary. They're way too stressful with way too little payoff(unless you win, of course) and there's better ways of gaining exposure.
    So, don't be mad that you didn't win, just walk away like nothing ever happened.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yep, every one of them. I've seen some terrible bands win. There are very few bands in my area who aren't of the screamo variety, and it's getting freakin' annoying! Can't anyone (besides us and a few others) try something different? /vent

10. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey

Personally, I put Pearl Jam in the exact same camp as Nirvana, Live, Blink 182, etc. :smug:
  11. Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm 16, and discovered Rush last year. Have no fear, there IS still hope, and a few of us out there who appreciate not only the classics of yesteryear, but good music in general!

No 50cent bull**** for me!

Anyway, back on topic, comiserations about the gig, but they're always rigged anyway. You won a moral victory!;)
  12. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea im with you on that im the same age as you (sophomore in highschool?) and alot of people dont appreciate good music and are verry narrow minded with music like only listening to one kind of music and have a.."I like this kind of music nothing else" attitude , and it pises me off because I love all kinds of music Rap , Jazz , Blues , Funk , Regae , the list goes on ....
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's pretty much it. The one who wins a battle of the bands is the one with the most friends in the audience. Besides, BOB's are usually just a scheme to make a promoter/club some easy money.
  14. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Not that this was supposed to turn into a thread about which bands are good or not. But saying bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana will not be around in 15 years is rediculous. Whether you like them or not, they ARE 15 years old, and still selling tons of records. Chris Novecellic (spelling?) and Jeff Ament always played smart, fitting basslines and didnt need to wank or show off with their instrument to make the bottom end of the songs good. They were usually pretty easy to play, but their tone was awesome, and they were creative in other ways than just being technical. Some of my favorite John Paul Jones Lines are the most simple ones (What is and what should Never be) But they are beautiful and perfect for the song. So I urge all of the naysayers out there, that no you dont have to like Pearl Jam or Nirvana (and btw, Nirvana released a box set that sold a ton) but dont dislike them just becasue they are not math rock.
  15. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    YOUR DAMN RIGHT PEARL JAMS STILL AROUND !!! I went to 2 of their consertrs in one week in october and Eddie Vedder is still kick'n ass like he always has and his new stuff is just as good or better than old stuff!! and just for the record IMO NO ONE! puts on a concert like Vedder does his fans are so connected with him and the band its amazing and he has such stage pressence!!!

huuuh huuuuuh huuuuh (*gaspin for air*)

sory guys just had to get that out.

PS: Although Jeff Ament isnt a technical bass player hes a real good one and creative one (Awesome bass in Jeremy) but guitar wise in Pearl Jam MIke McCready can f*** **** up he is unbelievable his solos are insane and even the hole song in general aside from the solo (You can feel the passion in his solos!!) is no walk in the park to play McCready can reserect rock gods like Hendrix , Page , and many many more !!!!
  16. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    don't get me wrong, im not saying because we can play instantly makes us deserving of being the winner of the show, its just i really do feel we were the most unique band up there. the (teenage) local scene as of late has been nothing but kids yelling into a microphone.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, IMO music isn't a competition. Forget about it. Work on your own thing, and do it to the best of your ability. Your band will acquire a fan base over time. Obviously it helps if you can entertain the audience between songs too.

I was forced to play in one of these things last winter. I really didn't want to do it; but everyone else in the band did. What I really hated about it the most was all the ego-tripping between my bandmates and some of the other bands.

The band I played in won the stupid thing, but afterwards I heard a lot of complaints from a few of the other bands involved through the local grapevine. I can't personally say if it was rigged or not. It may have been, but I didn't personally grease any Judges.

I won't complain about the money we won; it helped me give my kids a nice Christmas. But I sure hope they don't want to do another one.

- Art
  18. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    My band did our first official public appearance as a gigging outfit in a battle of the bands. Knew we couldn't win it up front; just did it for the exposure. It was good for me--I totally froze and couldn't play a damn thing. It hasn't happened to me since. We all still laugh about it.

Around here, botb contests are usually used as a means to decide which local bands will be added to the entertainment part of a street festival or fair. The imported acts are paid and they fill the opening spots with locals playing for free. In these contests, you are only judged on two things: 1) if you will be too offensive for bible-belt America; and 2) how many folks come cheer for you. They figure the folks that came to cheer you on in the botb will come to cheer you on at the show--and spend money while they are there.

I think every band should play in one botb to have that experience and show themselves to an audience they normally couldn't get in front of. After that, I don't think they serve much use. Of course, my band came off the stage, even after my screw up, and secured three paying gigs in 15 minutes. I really didn't cry too much over not being able to play in the local fair for free.
  19. Don't worry about it, as you said, you are original. In the long run that is more important than winning a few early popularity contests. Just treat it as practice playing live, practice makes perfect etc...
  20. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    the way we did it in my band was by learning a few sets of covers to mix in with our originals and Play lots of parties for free...built up a solid fan base....and was fun as hell

and yea those battles are a popularity contest bring a few hundred friends with ya :D