1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So we thought we had backed out...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 7thMuse, Jun 9, 2014.

1. 7thMuse

7thMuse

May 19, 2014
    OKC, OK
    MTD Kingston Local Hero,
    So, we signed on to play this show in Tulsa, OK (we all live in Moore, 2hrs south). Then during some crazy turn of events the show got rescheduled and we thought we told the promoter that the new date wasn't going to work for us and thus asked for us to be dropped from the ticket when she announced the new date and venue.

fast forward 3 weeks. we see a picture on facebook from the promoter of a local paper. The headline? "Moore's Lakeside Manor to support....blah blah blah" Naturally we are a little miffed, and now double booked.

suggestions as to how we handle this and not come off as unprofessional d-bags?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Well, did you or didn't you tell them? If not you're pretty much out-of-luck coming off as pros.

packhowitzer and Joe Louvar like this.
  3. Signed?

Hmm, we really can't help you much until after we know if you canceled or not?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    sparkyfender2 likes this.
  4. 7thMuse

7thMuse

May 19, 2014
    OKC, OK
    MTD Kingston Local Hero,
    oh no we distinctly told her we couldn't make the new date. I'm assuming she didn't update her press release thing.

I'm cancelling it, and I use the word sign just to say we had agreed to do it at first, then the date changed.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For gigs that don't use contracts: when you negotiate details face-to-face or on the phone, also send a "just-to-confirm" note by text or email. That way, everyone has a written reminder, and you have a more graceful way to handle situations like this—or disputes about negotiated pay, hours, backline, etc.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you have proof that you canceled (email etc), forward to her. Without that, if you don't play, you may have played your last gig for that promoter.

Dropping which gig will hurt less?

hrodbert696 likes this.
  7. We've ran into "promoters" that pull this several times.

you tell em "no" they still put you on the bill then talk **** when you don't show up
    you cancel they wait til 2 days before the gig to say you dropped off and make you look like a big bag of *****

they know darn well you cancelled the gig, they're just making you into the bad guy.

your best bet is to, right on the facebook thing you mentioned, say something like "we told [name of promoter] over 3 weeks ago that we could not play this gig, sorry about any confusion. now you made him out to be the **** and saved face.

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you do that to the promoter, you likely will no longer work with them. If you did that to me, I wouldn't take another call from you.

If nothing else, try calling and see what can be worked out. Is there another band on your level who could fill one spot in a gig swap? I would do everything to preserve relations. Yeah, you probablygot shafted, but it won't matter if you handle it wrong.

karl_em_all and DocGeorge like this.
  9. Okay.

BTW: how important is the promoter to the band... how many gigs does the promoter give the band per month/year and how big are the gigs (audience #) and how much money do they pay the band?

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    ^^ What he said. At this point, you do that at your peril if you do not clear things up with the promoter.

Put yourself in her/her shoes. Let's say you forgot to actually cancel, or even if you left a phone message or something and they did not get it. They have a bill to fill, and a reputation to preserve. You @#$%@#&^@ all over their rep, and you are dead to them.

Especially based upon your OP (thought we told), I would handle with care. I am sure promoters in your area also speak to each other, if you get my drift. At least try to get a sub band for one show.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot depends on HOW you communicated to the promoter that you had a conflict. If you just mentioned it in a conversation and didn't do anything to document it, you've put yourself in a bind. If you did something in a written/digital form, then you can keep your nose clean.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Get them to move the show to Fort Wayne, and my band will play the show.

13. 7thMuse

7thMuse

May 19, 2014
    OKC, OK
    MTD Kingston Local Hero,
    We won't be working with this person again, it was the first time we had dealt with her and will be the last. It was emailed through Facebook when the date was changed that we wouldn't be able to play. Either way I called her today and explained the situation and she sounded ok with the whole thing. Oh well, next show lol

14. Thank you for the update and cheers.