1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So What’s The Latest On OC-2 Clones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I haven’t looked into this in a couple years now and was curious if anything has come up that perfectly nails the soloed OCT 1 setting. For reference, the MXR BOD is a superior pedal in just about every way, but I sold mine as it didn’t get close enough to that synthy sound despite being very close.

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    3Leaf Octabvre?

slareman, Joe Clark, karla684 and 2 others like this.
  3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I’ve been told the Cog T-16 is suuuuuper close. I’ve got one on the way.
    For a straight clone, find the Valeton OC-10.

nolezmaj and Nunovsky like this.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve seen the Valeton- it just always looked reeeeally cheap. Let me know on the Cog.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I had the Valeton for a hot sec.
    It wasn't reeeeally cheap, only really cheap. ;)
    It was a true clone, though.
    Had the same tone-sucking buffer and everything!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh joy :roflmao:

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Also, I'm not a huge fan of the TCE Sub'N'Up's "Mono" sound, which is supposedly OC-2 inspired.
    No attack, just a big wet "wub" kinda sound.
    The POG mode is pretty all right, though.

Swimming Bird likes this.
  8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I've wondered how close one could get with the Sub N Up after some careful tweaking of the parameters on the app.

hintz likes this.
  9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Why not just grab a used Boss OC2? With Reverb they aren't as hard to find as they used to be. Seems like there's a ton of them up on there. Saw one for $90 the other day, which isn't too much more than what a Sub N Up goes for.

alack likes this.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh I’ve had lots of OC-2s. While they sounds great there are several things that could be improved upon. The buffer is questionable, there’s a volume drop when engaged, and the OCT2 knob is useless. The Boss box design is also a bit large- I’m curious if the same circuit can be built in a smaller enclosure.

hintz and AngelCrusher like this.
  11. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    As of this morning GC had 4 in their used gear list.

12. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The Octabvre mini solves the OCT2 knob and volume drop issue. Only issue is if you like the Tim tuning or not. I personally like the Boss sound a little more, but I can go either way there. Matters how picky you are. The Big Octabvre lets you have it all.

stambroker likes this.
  13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Just IMHO and not Just an octave but the octave in the Red Witch Zeus is almost spot on for the OC-2

alack likes this.
  14. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Checking out some demos now. Sounds great and reasonably priced.

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I had a Octabver and the Zeus gets closer than that. Although the Octabvre Did sound good it did not sound like my MIJ OC-2 And My TC Sub N Up does not either. Still say the closest is the one on the Zeus. I have not heard the COG But will soon .

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  16. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    This is going to be my next pedal I think. I love both the fuzz and octave section. I’m hoping to use it to replace my Bass Big Muff (sucks), and my MXR BOD (really good, not great).

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The soloed octave on their official demo vid sounded good. Unfortunately it was really short- most of the demos seem to focus on the fuzz side (which does sound good as well).

18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've tried.
    I didn't find the SnU to be nearly as tweakable as most of the other TCE pedals.
    In the Mono mode, you can't adjust any sort of parameter for attack, nor can you add any "body" or "weight" to the Poly mode.

hintz likes this.
  19. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    That's what my friend Nick Clark uses in this video, starting around 3:42.

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

The Octabvre and the COG pedals mentioned would be the best that are in production and available new. If you can find one used, the Broughton Broughctave is the best around IMO. I’ll never flip mine. I went from one OC2 to 2 OC2s to an Octabvre to the Broughctave.

Pbassmanca likes this.