Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what about a 36" scale?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I typed in 36" scale in the Search function but was informed that there was not enough letters in 36 for a search.

I've checking the various websites to find strings for my 36" scale Fodera Imperial. I guess it's not that popular of a scale length so most string manufacturers don't make much for the ultra long scale basses.

I do know that Fodera makes strings for this scale, as well as Ken Smith but I'm finding that this appears to be about it. And it seems that they are all stainless steel. Right now, the only SS strings that I've found that I really like are the LaBella Super Steps that came on my F Bass. I'm really a nickel guy.

Has anyone found nickel strings that will fit a 36" scale 6-string bass?

2. DR will make string that fit up to a 40" scale, IIRC. I beleive that their standard sets firt a 36" scale with issues and their nickel strings (sunbeams) are great. Also, I think the extra long scale D'addarios will work, though I'm not 100% sure.

-Chris

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I get the D'Addario XL70SL sets for my 35" scale basses. The "SL" is for "super long" and they seem to have plenty of winding to spare so they may work for you.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a feeling DR strings would be long enough because I put DR lowriders on my 35.25" and I still trimmed the ends a little.

I also agree that the super long scale D'ddarios will work.

DR and D'ddario are two of the best string manufactures so you should be good to go.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    :eek: I bought a set of DR Low Rider's when I was in Seattle, at the suggestion of one of the guys at the shop, where I got them. The B, E, A and D were about an inch too short. The taper was in front of the nut. Bum deal, but I really needed to put new strings on my Imperial. Those strings will go on another bass once I get something correct for the Fodera.

I just got back a few emails for D'Addario and GHS and was told that I'd need to buy a 4 string set on the GHS and a 5 string set on the D'Addario's then buy the singles as extras. I'm not all that crazy about making up sets. I've just never had any good luck making up a set as the strings that come as singles always have a different tone than the packaged set. Has anyone else noticed this?

I just got a note from LaBella that says that their "Slappers" in extra long will work. But I've never heard of anyone using these. But I really do like a nickel plated steel string so I may give these a try.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The LaBella Slappers are nice strings IME.

Of course that means nothing as far as you're concern. I hate trying to find strings:D

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Any Luthier that makes basses at 36" scale should be able to help you. Try asking them maybe.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Sorry to hear the Lowriders didn't fit, Jerry J.

I thought they would be long enough...They are really good strings too.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    RE: D'Addario:
    This will work only if you want a B thats .130 or larger. I prefer a .120 or .125 and they don't have a SL set in 5 or 6 string with Bs that small. I order 4 string sets from juststrings.com and add the individual D'Addario XLSL B and C (.035) strings to my order. You just have to go to their individual string section. Its very easy.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I ordered a set of the Slappers. They seemed to be a decent price for a 6 string set and they are nickel plated, which works for me.

I'm with you, Brad. I, also hate going through the ordeal of judging what strings work the best with a bass. I've found that different basses sound better with different strings..d'uh! And I'm real picky so the generalization of buying just one brand/model of strings never works out.

But it gets bad when I've got 7 or 8 different sets of strings as back ups. Then there are the sets that were put on a bass to be taken off a week or two later because they didn't work out well on a bass.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well it turns out that the retailer that I ordered the La Bella's from was out of stock so it was looking like it'd be several weeks before I'd get them. So I cancelled the order.

But my local GC said that they could get an extra long set of nano-web Elixers in a couple of days. I picked them up last night and just installed them. They fit perfectly.

They don't seem to have the same growl and bite that the DR's had but they lack the clunk sound I was getting from the SS Low Riders. So I guess there is a trade off. I'm also assuming that the Elixer's will be nicer to the frets than the SS strings.