Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what about the R Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    What is the general consenses on R Basses? Does anyone around here own one or have played one to know anything about them?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd suggest a search on this very topic. Most of the threads I've seen regarding R Basses hold them in very high regards, though there are a few who don't.

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks RAM, I tried a search for "R Bass" and the search yielded all the posts with "Bass" in it. Imagine that! I'll need to try something different.

I was offered a a trade for an R and I hadn't recalled many posts about the R Basses.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I only remember 2 or 3 threads about them. One of the most recent actually got a bit heated.:eek:

Try a search with keyword "Ray Rogers". That'll return a few relevant threads.:D

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Two of my students actually own them!

:eek:

Very nice, very obviously inspired by Fodera (both basses are single cut - ala an Emperor II, one a 33" the other a 35", both 5's). I have nothing bad to say about the basses as far as construction, playability, tone, or appearance. They are well made, play wonderfully, are light, and sound very good.

They don't have the name recognition or market-value of Fodera basses, but if you like it, then it's a good deal for you, isn't it?

;)

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've been trying to sell or trade my mint Lakland D55 to get a an F Bass. Larry Kaye and Brad Johnson have got me all fired up for one. In fact I was about 12 hours too late to grab that BN5 that was at Willie's in Minnesota but it got nabbed before I could back to them.:(

So I get an offer to trade for the R Bass which looks extremely close to a bolt-on Emperor. Very nice looking bass but I've just not paid too much attention to them. Although it's not what I was looking for it seemed like it may work out for me. But now it seems that the guy has a buyer so the deal is probably off.

I'll see if I can get any info, anyway, from a search just so that I'm more well informed on the R Basses.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I still haven't laid hands on an R bass. According to the website, retail prices are upper $5k to $6k range. I think that may be a tad optomistic. Ray's moving to Puerto Rico too, for whatever that's worth. They look like very nice instruments... I'd trade my 55-94 Limited for one:)

8. Hey Jerry, about how much would that BN5 have cost you? With any luck I'll get a chance to try one before long, and I'd like to know how expensive they are. I don't want to try one if I can't afford it! :D

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The BN5 was scratched on the front so the price was $2240. I think that the normal price for a new BN5 is around $2700 if you buy it off the shelf. I'm not sure what the price is if you order one.

Larry Kaye just bought one and there was some fairly large threads on that topic. I know he will be posting a review in several days which I am looking forward to reading.

Yeah Brad, I was probably going to go through with the trade which still may happen. That R looked pretty nice and it has the Haz Lab pre into h-buck Barts and a coil-tap off of that.

Thanks for the info, folks