Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so what are people using in college?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MicB, Mar 18, 2006.

1. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    The time has come for me to purchase a real amp. No more 10 watt piece of crap. I'll be off to college this fall, so that plays a major factor in my purchase. What seems to be the norm for college bands? Shall I get a small combo, something easy to travel with and move up stairs, or spring for a seperate head/cab. Money is tight. I'm trying to spend no more than $500.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to buy. I don't know if a 100 watt combo will be enough, but I don't want more than a 210 if I go with a head/cab.

2. I bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of gear in college, something that I would not do over again. After having a pair of Eden D-210Ts and then an Aguilar GS410, I ironically didn't even play a gig until I had a much smaller/saner speaker setup: a pair of GS112s.

My advice: get a 300-watt head and a 2x10 cab. For any gig that such a rig wouldn't cover, there will be a PA. House and frat parties are not the appropriate venue for anything bigger than a 2x10/2x12/1x15.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    +1 on peters advice.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm using a GK 200MB combo. Fine enough for acoustic guitar jams and jazzish gigs, but I wouldn't take it to a rock gig, at least not without an extension. If you're only going to get one rig (a do-it-all), Peter's advice is pretty solid.

5. I should point out that the first head I bought after selling my little Carvin PB100-10 combo, an Ampeg SVT-III, would have been perfectly reasonable for gigging. However, being the gearhead I was at the time, I ended up selling that, buying an Eden WT-300, selling that, and buying an EBS Fafner which served me extremely well until I stupidly sold it after graduation. :bawl:

6. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm using a ampeg portabass 12 200watt 4ohm cab and a fender bxr 300 300w amp. It gets loud enough for blues gigs and such and if the band plans on getting louder than I can go there is usually a PA so I just use the amp as a monitor. It's really light weight and portable, which is esential since I live in the dorms with no car. I can take it on the bus. If I do need to get louder, the amp can so I can just borrow a big 15 cabinet, but there is no room for that in my dorm room, and they weigh a lot.

7. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
  8. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That Backline setup would be awfully tempting, given that the SWR weighs 76 pounds. I am quite happy with my Backline 600 head.

While college was long ago for me, I remember the hassle of a large amp rig. And I still prefer a portable setup.

10. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    2 12 may even be too much. lol. i got a 2 10. it kicks butt. and im getting a 1 12 for any larger shows. i'll be in college in a year and a half. so i thought of this recently.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Before trying the BL600, read my little review...

www.execpc.com/~fdeck/bass/gkbl600.pdf

It tells you how to set the dials for "flat" voicing. That way, you can get a true evaluation of the speaker. On the other hand, if the rig needs a bit of EQ to sound the way you want, it is certainly not a negative.

12. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    Thanks for that...I'll be trying out that GK setup tomorrow. I got too excited at gc today, had to play that stingray and corvette through some monster rigs. I was a little surprised when a 12 year old walked right in and picked up the Warwick. I wasn't too happy having to wait my turn :meh:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill be using a GK 1001rb with a GK neo212 most likely.

14. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I like the idea to get a good head and a small cab like a 2x10, but I can't stress enough how important it is to be flexible. Everyone always says anything more you'd have PA support, but that is not always the case! I go to school in a small town with a fairly reputable music school, but most of our gigs do not have a good PA. Often times we are required to use our own or rent one, which means it won't be a big bass handling PA, or we can use whatever the bar might have. At the main bar that has bands, this means a 4 channel mixer and two blown powered speakers. Sometimes you need to have enough volume to carry yourself, so check out the scene before you decide you DON'T need that second cab just in case.

15. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    whatever you do end up getting, make sure you have a way to get it places (I know you have a car, I mean a handtruck, casters, ext.) I bought a 100 watt combo a year ago (60 pounds) and ran it up the street to my friend's house for about 2 weeks on a battery cart with rle tiny casters. Curbs and cracks in the driveway were a b*tch, so now I'm usin a Northern utility wagon and it does tons better.

Regaurding the loudness, I added an MXR DI later and now it does tons better, sound quality and loudness.

16. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    There's no headphone out on that G-K like there is on the SWR. I think you may want that for practice in your dorm or apartment. Even if you have a house your roommates might not appreciate your practicing.

Also, the G-K is only 300 watts, the SWR is 400. And there's no horn in that 2x10 cab like there is in the SWR combo.

As for transporting, the SWR has casters (removable).