Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So........ what are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassManJim, Jan 17, 2005.

1. I haven't seen anything about this on the forums but..... since bass palyers as a species are some of the most literate musicians around :smug: and I know that we do a few things besides 'shedding :)

Have you read anything interesting lately? I bring this up because I haven't really had time to read much until the last four weeks, been recovering from some pretty intense oral surgery (what a way to use vacaton time :( ). I love to read but normally my schedule doesn't allow much time for it. The best thing about the surgery is I found TB and read:

"State of Fear" Michael Crichton
    "Red Rabbit" Tom Clancy
    "Music is my Mistress" Duke Ellington
    "Catcher in the Rye" (2nd time) J.D. Salinger

I'm gonna start the "DaVinci Code" Tomorrow

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Forgotten Worlds by Robert Charroux.

Just finished Robert Lynn Asprin's entire Myth series.

4. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    ive been reading "Love In The Time Of Cholera". but i misplaced it last week. it sucks cause i was almost finished and i realy want to know what happens. its not in the bathroom, its not in my car, its not in my backpack, its not on my nightstand. :confused:

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m reading for my CCNP.

The book I´m reading now is called Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI).

Fun stuff! :hyper:

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    "Memoires of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. It's the tale of a young (Japanese) girl who's parents become sick and she is sold to an okiya (geisha house) with her sister being solder to a whore house (no details, not that kind of book ok).

It's a marvellous...voyage? yeah that's the right word, it's the marvellous voyage of a young girl growing up without her parents and adopting teh traditional ways of the geisha.. I'm only halfway so can't really tell what's next!

I'm into Japanese culture and such so it really appeals to me, though I think it's so well written that ANYONE will enjoy it.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This type of thread seems to come along every few months... But I like 'em, so here goes:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Tragedy of American Diplomacy by William Appleman Williams
    and I was bored the other day so I read a bit more of Hume's Treatise on Human Nature. One day I swear I'll get through that one, but it sure is dense...

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Reading a biography of Beethoven.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just finished up Ultimate X-men 1-53: Solid stuff.
    Identity Crisis 1-7 - Meeeeh.
    Doom 2099 (like, 17-36). It's crap, but Warren Ellis is on board at this point, so we'll see.
    Read 30 Days, not too shabby. Art was great.
    Also plowed through Y: THe Last Man 1-25. Good stuff. You know a writer is doing his job when you want to deck one of the characters.

Also managed to fit in a couple Discworld books, a couple of anatomy guides, and am going to start hitting Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle here any day now.

...I did my time in books in years past. I've now charged myself with the dubious task of catchiung up on decades of comics as quickly as possible. DC, Marvel, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

10. Your Best Life Now-Joel Osteen

11. I usually only read non-fiction (I'll make exceptions). Here are a couple that I am into right now:

The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester (It's about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. It's better than it sounds.)

The Napoleon of Crime - Ben MacIntyre (The life of Adam Worth - Master Thief)

12. Elfride Jelinek's Die Klavierspielerin (1983), only in Swedish translation. Don't think I like it much.
    As for non-fiction, I read an assortment of Library and information studies- and Comparative religion-related titles. Of these, some favourites are Bruce Lincoln's Holy Terrors : Thinking about Religion after September 11 (2003) and Catherine Bell's Ritual Theory, Ritual Practice (1992).

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Norman Cantor Antiquity

Victor Davis Hanson Carnage and Culture

Erik Larson The Devil in the White City

Patrick Wright Tank

14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Always great no matter how many times I have read it. I am currently reading J.R.R. Tolkien's Silmarrillion, to be followed by his Unfinished Tales.

On the side I am always reading books about web design/coding.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just finished Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins two nights ago so last night I went and got a copy of Skinny legs and all, also by Tom Robbins. My girlfriend has read all his books(and like every other book...ever.) and that's her favorite, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I really like Robbins, so far I've read 4 of his books, so this will be my 5th out of 8 I think.

On the horizon, I don't have anything else. But I feel myself coming out of a dry spell of reading, where I really didn't read much at all. But I'm fixing to change that. Since my girlfriend is such a reader(I'm not kidding, she's read everything I've ever read and then some times 10) I'll probably be reading stuff mostly on her suggestion, so who knows where that will take me.

I've also been chugging through Reading contemporary bass rhythms

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
    I'm going to read 1984 soon, probably start tomorrow.

I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Dís in December.

17. im reading charles dickens great expectations at the moment. also, a lot of hemingway for my english class.

18. Heavier than Heaven-A Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles r.Cross.
    I really like it so far.