So, what are your thoughts on religion?(closed by JT)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think religion is extremely screwed up...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying God is screwed up or anything like that, just religion.

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist by my mother. My dad was raised Catholic, and he seems to think that the SDA church has something against Catholics... He goes so far as to call SDA a cult.

I would not say that it is too farfetched to say that religion was started by Satan.(OK, it s very farfetched)

God didn't start them. Why would he want people to fight and kill over who is right about him?

I fully believe in God and the bible, but religion, to me, just seems really stupid.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Methinks this thread will have the halflife of a gnat.

However, to answer your question - I'm all for it. But, I get rather upset when others try to shove their beliefs down my throat...
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. organized religion is a bit ludicrous to me as well. i'd much rather form my own beliefs about this world than be told what to believe. religion can be a great thing, i suppose, if approached correctly. take the bible for example. it's got some incredibly good stuff in there; a lot of lessons that we could all learn from. however, i don't think that book should be taken word-for-word and used the way christianity does. i think it should just be looked at as some helpful guidelines that anyone can pick up and learn from a little bit(which anyone can very well do) like Aesop's fables; stories with a moral behind them; not necesarrily a whole huge system of beliefs.
    where i stand right now, i guess i'm an atheist. i don't practice any religion. i'm just me. the only religion i've heard of that actually appealed to me as a belief system was Taoism (or Daoism, however you wanna spell it).
    i'd like to look into the Tao a bit more, and maybe some other religions, just to see what's out there. i'm never going to adopt any religion; but i guess it can't hurt to look.
    [edit: i'm just saying how i feel the bible would be used for ME if i used it at all, in that part. i'm not trashing christianity or the church; and i don't really know all the ins and outs of it anyway]
  5. "A cult is a religion with no political power." --Unknown

I predict this thread will be closed before long.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh - actually, I'd say it's the exact opposite. Satan was invented by religion.

As far as your question goes, I think that religion - by which I refer to the major organized religions - Christianity, Judaism, Islam et al - doesn't work.

I think that many of these religions (I'm thinking of those three I mentioned in particular) are pretty fear-based. They instill fear - they teach you to fear God, as well as a host of other things...

And fear, I believe, is the exact opposite of what we need - the exact opposite of who we are, that is, love.

I suppose, I have no problem with the concept of religion - but I think its implementation leaves a lot to be desired, personally.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let's try to be a bit more subtle with our offensiveness, m'kay?
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    So am I. I believe when you die, you rot - unless you've made arrangements to be burned. There is no 'god in heaven' by any name.

IMO - all religions are just socially accepted cults. More harm than good comes from them.
    I think that religion once had a place in society, but is no longer necassary - we have societies that have laws to give us our code of conduct and we have science to explain what we don't automatically understand. Maybe society has evolved to a place a where man has become his own god?
  9. Religion is like a bass - some like one make, some like another. Some modify, some like it "stock". Some people own a bass, but don't know what to do with it, so it sits in the corner. Some don't own one at all. Where am I going with this? I haven't a clue.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I also believe that.

I cannot find anywhere in the bible where it says that when you die, you go to heaven or hell immediatly.

As I understand it, you do sit there and rot and your soul is asleep (Thats why it is called a sleep in the bible!) until God comes to bring his people up to heaven. The earth is then set on fire to cleanse it, and that is what hell is. Hell is temporary.

Hell has to be temporary. If it was eternal, than evil would never truly die, would it?

Then there is this rapture stuff. I personally do not think that rapture is real. I think it is a huge misunderstanding. In fact, someone told me that churches didn't even have a rapture story until some lady woke up one day and claimed she had a vision about it.

Bleh... confusing confusing.

I was just using that as an example of what I have seen religion do.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I am horrified daily by the things done in it's name around the world.

For the record (and incase anyone has forgotten): I am agnostic - I used to be atheist, but I got better.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I think I follow you here..but if hell is temporary, where in the hell are we to go for all of our eternal damnation needs?
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    It is not eternal damnation.

Hell is temporary, so how can it be?

One thing people miss alot is this: God's way is the only way. But God still wants you to be happy. So if you do not think heaven is where you will be happy, God won't make you go.

Of course there will be repercussions for your actions.

I really do not think God is going to let humans suffer for eternity...
  14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    more harm than good

when i was a little parents totally shoved religion down my throat...i was never really into now i totally do not believe in anything....

if there is a sure doesn't look like he cares about this planet...many times my mom has tried to convince me that her way is the right way... she makes me go to church (im 16) and that only makes me turn away more...

so i do not believe any religion....

15. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    probably the only time i will talk this kind of stuff here. im a panagnatheist. whats that? its pantheism + agnosticism + atheism, throw in philosophy reading, western religion, and eastern mysticism and you have panagnatheism. the idea has been around forever but theres not much structure for it, its formless religion. alot like the ideas behind a koan. i cant really describe it to anyone, but my belief as far as what the center of my religion is (which there is neither center nor religion) is divinity. all things are created equal and made in god's own likeness, why not believe that for what its saying. jesus said that he was the son of god and was persecuted for it, god said we are all his children and a religion formed around it. all spiritual beliefs and doctrines share similar ideas just like all things share similar conditions its just nature and the participation in it is divine motion. more blurb on it is causal freewill, choosing paths at a determined point perpetually.

:spinning: (theta)
  16. More Classical contexts define Hell as eternal separation from God. Following the religious tract is the idea of free will..we are allowed to live as we please, provided we accept possible consequences. Even the concept of belief is optional. In other words, to each his (or her) own.
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Mike you didn't look very hard:

Matthew 18:8 - And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.

Matthew 25:46 - And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

2 Thessalonians 1:9 - They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

Jude 1:7 - just as Sodom and Gomor'rah and the surrounding cities, which likewise acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

I'm certainly no bible scholar, but I do know how to do a search on :D

For the record, I have no opinion in this thread.
  18. I think religion's a very important thing for some people. The universe is an extremely big place (and that's an understatement) I think religion helps people feel more significant and also gives them a sense of brotherhood with others. Beside that, religions have helped many people overcome their addictions and fix their problems and give them something positive to hold onto in a world of negativity.

Though, I believe that there is a difference between spirituality and religion. All to often people make religion into an exclusive club when they're supposed to be a way to find yourself. So I don't believe in dogma, just people.

I'm really into Zen buddhism though.
  19. Ditto.
  20. i really wish pantheism in the greek/roman tradition hadn't completely died out, or i might sign up for it. it's just as wacky as almost every other religion, but more fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.