So what blew up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Mar 13, 2004.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I blew something up in my amp period. what is it though?

My amp was a carvin r600

What I did was I was playing, not loud at all, and we were getting ready to record my track and I shut off the amp and I plugged a direct in from my amp and set the mics up and I was ready to go so I fired it up and It starting making all kinda of funky noises and it smelt like when a belt burns up in a sweeper but not as strong (sorry it's the closest thing I could I could relate it too). I noticed also the gain lite was on and the compressor lite was too. What I think happened was the phantom power from the mixer fried something. It was on because of the condenser mic I had hooked up. also If it helps any, the ground lift was on and the direct line was on too. I tore it apart and checked the tube, the tube looks good. I notice the smell still lingures in the back of the amp where you plug in the speakers into.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, your guess is probably a good one. Those cheap "pseudo" DI's (like on the Carvin's) are just op-amps feeding two of the three XLR connections. Probably the phantom power from the board fried the op amps. Does the rest of your amp still work?

As I recall, Carvin has a fixed-price "no fault" repair policy, last time I checked (about two years ago) it was 115 bucks, but of course the price may have gone up a little. They'll supposedly fix your amp for that price, no matter what's wrong with it. They fixed one of my Fet-1000's about five years ago for 85 bucks, I'd loaned the amp out to someone and the genius somehow managed to plug the speaker output back into the input. Wow. They fixed it though, and I'm guessing they probably took a loss on that one. :)
  3. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    1 (800) 854-2235

Tell them what happened. They'll probably want you to return the amp. Their customer service rocks! They'll take care of you.
  4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, I tried working with just the power amp and nothing works. I notices a red light in the back kick on behind the panel, I've never seen it before. would it be worth it to fix it? I was going to rent one for a couple of months and then just buy something else and maybe fix it down the road for a back up.