Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what can you put in a rack case other than an amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Apr 18, 2001.

1. I am a committed combo user.

I am fascinated byt eh idea of rack systems. OK, you can have a separate amp and preamp. You can have FX. You can have a tuner and a power supply. You can have a funklogic filler. (http://www.funklogic.com/)

What else can you put in a rack system?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i currently have my hartke 3500 in my rack...i use the extra space for cords, strap, mini tuner.

one of these days i may put a rack tuner in it, but it's not a necessity.

3. In my rack I have

Furman Power Conditioner
    Korg DTR 1 Tuner
    Mesa/Boogie Amp Switcher
    Mesa/Boogie 400+
    Mesa/Boogie M-2000
    Eventide GTR-4000
    dbx 1066 Compressor
    Bradshaw Custom Routing System
    Rack tray with various pedals and stomp boxes

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Having a rack-mount tuner, light unit, and power supply is a huge advantage from having a rack, IMO. You can also easily have spares of whatever if your rack is large enough. One other thing that I like a lot is having a rack drawer to store things. At multi-day gigs, I can lock up my microphone, cords, and small steal-able items so that I don't have to carry them home every night. I can also put the rack front on to deter tampering with my rig settings. I also get good use from my 8-space rolling rack in other ways: I set my Goliath Sr. 6x10 up on top of the rack at gigs so that I have the cab right in my ear and can drastically reduce my stage volume. The castors help at load-in and load-out because I can stack stuff on top to roll it around. Can't do any of that with an amp head.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Everything mentioned above has been great. Here's how I do it. Effects rack has a Digital Music Corp. Routing system, 4 stomp boxes, Korg rack tuner, and a Furman PL-8. My other rack will hold my WT-800, a Roland S760 (digital sampler for those who don't stray into odd MIDI gear), and a rack shelf for holding cables/misc. gear. That is once I get the second rack it will.

6. mtomlins

mtomlins

Feb 8, 2009
    I've got the Hartke 3500 in the rack case that came from Hartke. Anyone ever try to pull out the Hartke logo (no offense) and mount an effects unit in that 1U spot?

7. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I always wanted the rack system that Tony Levin designed for Trace Elliot - The Musician's Valet.

http://papabear.com/miscpages/tracedesign.htm

Espresso machine, microwave, fridge, and a 1 x 18" clothes washer! Best rig ever!

8. i dont have one,but both my guitarists do,and they both have the usual stuff,amp,pre amp,post amp twice removed:smug:,but they also have drawers in them for leads, tape,ect.they both still have spaces,so i think one should have a fridge,for onstage drinks,and the other a hotplate,for munchies!!

but unfortunatly,i dont think they have built that type of thing yet.
    boo.:spit:

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    All I have in mine is preamp, power amp, power conditioner/lights, and tuner. But I love that old (pre-Fender) SWR Grand Prix preamp!

[​IMG]

10. I am building a case for my SWR SM400S head and putting a strip of recessed red led lights in the front to give the red face some character at night - I will post a pic when completed. the led strip is less than $9 from HK

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a dbx 160A in there, but I really don't need compression. There's a rack tuner in each of my racked rigs, though.

[​IMG]

12. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    [​IMG]

Top to bottom:
    Furman power supply
    Tuner
    Blue Thunder effects (which should be replaced with DBX 166)
    Custom made (by me) cooling fan
    Amp

It's a little heavy but it keeps it all in one place.

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY

That fan is awesome.

14. I got this furman crossover panel (all knobs and buttons, no electronics!) and will be putting it in my rack case with recessed led lighting. hard to get pictures actual color, but both panels are the same color so that they look like a match!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

A drawer and guitar stand.. there is a mfg who has one that goes on the rails.

16. nboyer941

nboyer941

Jul 22, 2008
    Burnsville, MN
  17. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Can also put a wireless unit in there.

Later
    Rob

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I'm leary of the fastener mid way.. these have a way to strip

Mine came for a small Cali company.. lifetime guarantee.. they stood behind it as I did something dumb.. just received a replacement,.

Dumb name like "howzithangin" was about $30 shipped.

IT is cool flipping it in and going.. holds my drawer shut.

19. If you mean the wood/tolex case that they come in now, there are no rack-style screw holes and the amp is actually fastened by screws in the bottom of the casing. If you want to rack-mount your Hartke, you have to remove it from that and buy the rack-ear attachment. The empty wood case makes a good bathroom step-stool for your toddler.:smug:

20. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks.