1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So what case do you like better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Jul 18, 2007.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    A used geddy lee is on the way and it comes with a SKB case would I am probably gonna sell that. So I searched around and came up with two ideas.

#1- Used Fender Jazz Bass Case, MINT condition-$70

GetAttachment9.

GetAttachment.

Or just got with a molded jazz bass case like this...for about 60-70 used

099-6101-106-6f259c31cdbe5d968de776.

What do you guys like better? What do you think is nicer? any comments welcome

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Get a Hiscox, best and lightest moulded cases on the market, with fantastic neck support.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Funny, I want to sell my molded case (like the one you posted) for an SKB. What is wrong with the SKB?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    those wooden fender cases are pretty heavy - not very appealing personally. I'd just keep the skb, is there something wrong with it?

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Molded cases don't breathe. I always go with plywood.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Shouldn't this be in the BASS CASE forums?:confused: :D

Anyways, I have a hard Ritter, a hard SKB, a moulded Fender, a '70's plywood Fender and gig bags. I really don't have a preference as it is just to carry my bass.

I guess the SKB is the most solid of the bunch but the moulded Fender case looks the coolest.

7. Warwick rock case...I think they're still available.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    It depends if the case will be used to store the bass or transport the bass.

I own all these case's for different basses I have and here are the good & bad points of them.

Old Fender case good points:
    Looks cool if it has Fender raised emblem on it.
    Has lots of room for strap, tuner, cable etc etc.
    Stands up on its end so you can lean it against a wall or side of truck while handling other items.
    Stands up on it's feet good to set down while loading in/out.

Bad points:
    Sometimes you have to use a foam block inside to keep bass from moving around in case.
    End piece can damage easy if it takes a hit.
    Latches sometimes wear out if older type.
    Hinges start to pull out if someone pushes the top to far open.

Molded Fender case good points:
    Bass fits nice & snug.
    Very well constructed and has good latches and hinges that hold up very well.
    Stands well on it's feet.

Bad points:
    Will not stand up long way.
    Teenie tiny little storage area under neck of bass, can't get much in them.

SKB Case good points:
    Molded impact corners.
    Adjustable fit inside.
    Plenty of storage for extra stuff.
    Heavy duty latches & hinges.
    Can really take a beating and hold up well on top/Bottom and sides.

SKB bad points:
    Not an original Fender case if that matters to anyone.

The choice will depend on it's use.
    If you travel on the road with other band members gear in the back of a truck, I would say the SKB is the best bet.

If you will use the case for storage and take the bass in a gig bag to practice or a friends house, I would say the old Fender case.

If you use the case instead of a gig bag and travel in a small car and don't have much room, the molded fender case will work, but you will need a seperate small bag for Tuner, cables,
    and and other stuff you take with, you can fold the strap up a few times and cram it in the little storage area under the neck unless it is a real thick one.

Hope this helps.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have had an early '70s case, a molded '80s case, and two tweed "reissue" cases, along with a MF tweed case.

Things I like:

The '70s has a lovely orange plush lining, and my Blue Agave Jazz looks great against it. It also has a large accessory box between the peg head and the side with plenty of space for a tuner and cord. A P or a J will fit in it equally well.

The molded case (since sold) held a P bass very rigidly in its shaped liner. It was also relatively llight.

The tweed cases are gorgeous, with accessory pockets that have snap closures so stuff doesn't fall out. Both have deep red plush lining, which sets off the "butterscotch" of the '51 P and "fiesta red" of the '50s P nicely (of course, as with the '70s case, the basses don't sit around in their cases with the lids open...when they are not being used, the cases are upright in a rack I built). Again, either a P or a J is happy inside.

The MF case is roomy, with cherry plush interior. Every bass I own would fit inside it; it was assigned to a Tribute L2000 while I owned that bass. The "tweed" is vinyl, so doesn't pick up smells (see below) and is easy to clean.

Things I don't like:

The '70s has iffy latches (I had to replace one), lots of wear and tear, and it's heavy. The Fender logo is mostly gone (of course, I could charge extra for the "mojo").

The molded case always had to be "tweaked" a little to get the lid to latch properly. They are also made either for P or J basses: the difference in body shape prevents one from fitting in the case for the other.

The tweed cases have a cotton tweed covering which picks up the tobacco smoke odor from the clubs we play in. My car smells like tobacco smoke for a day or two after a gig.

The MF case isn't that well made, and, in fact, sits empty for now. The "roominess" is not really an advantage, because I always felt as though I had to handle it more carefully than the Fender cases. The "tweed" is a rather bright yellow (although this color varies some from case to case -- I saw another, otherwise identical, MF tweed case that looked more like the Fender color).

10. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Nothing is wrong with the SKB, but just want a fender case to match a fender bass...I know, I'm picky

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I never use hard cases. I just use a quality soft case.