Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So...............what did everyone think of Kelly Ousborne's first performance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 7, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know. It just seemed like she didn't look comfortable up on stage. Like all of her moves were obvious rehersed. I just had trouble believing the whole "punk rock attitiude" thing when her Dad's freaking Ozzy Ousborne and she didn't have to pay any dues to make it where she did.

On the plus side, a rockin' version of Papa Don't Preach was a cool idea.

2. "Mummy, I want to sing on the &*#$ing movie awards!"

Thats all I have to say.

3. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    At least she was the only one with a microphone so what you heard is supposedly her. not entirely bad.

If your Daddy was Ozzy and you had the swing to get a gig on MTV wouldn't you?
    Let's not player hate.
    Yeah I thought she looked a bit stiff for someone who's seen that much live music.
    But then again I just saw Tom Petty turn milk into cheese with his horrible performance on the R&R hall of Fame inductions
    Just my opinion,
    tummage

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I dug it. Her voice wasn't what I expected, but most people sound different when they sing from when they talk. I agree that she didn't look comfortable, but I doubt I would be either if it was my first live performance ever, and it was to a crowd full of celebrites and broadcast across the globe.

All in all I thought she was one of the best things about the awards, the White Stripes don't do it for me, and I missed Eminem's performance, but I'm not a huge Eminem fan to begin with although I do chuckle when I hear the new single. The movie spoofs were good but not great, Spider-man was the best to me, the runner up is the "We Built This City" performance in the Panic Room spoof. I was hoping for more Jack Black humor, and maybe a sudden performance by Tenacious D. Oh well, MTV hasn't catered to me for some time now.

5. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    i liked the band. they rocked!! hehe the lead guitarist was cool, and i loved the big red mean-looking bass, that thing looks totally sweet. too bad it had big white split p pickups, yuck!

anyway, i thought she did better than i was expecting.

side note - i was very disappointed - no tenacious d, it sucked, i cried, lond story short.

the end

6. She looked very nervous on stage and she looked like she wasn't having the greatest of times. It didn't even sound like she was snging because it is SO much different, it's scary.
    The funniest part of the night (for me) is when Brittany Murphy made fun of herself. She was a bout to say the winner and she got all freaky and said,"I'm never gonna tell..." Freakyness, but funnyness.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no. i'd wear a mask, go incognito/annonymous, and pay my dues like everyone else. since money would obviously not be an issue, it would mean that much more to me that i achieved anything on my own merits, and not those of my father.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I didn't much like her...

The band was good though.

What was with that bass...? It had the 2 p-pickups by the bridge and a J by the neck. I've heard of p & J combos, but with the J by the bridge and the P by the neck... I've never seen that... Sounded cool to me though.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It was a BC Rich Mockingbird. Though I normally don't like "Pointy" basses, I did dig that bass.

There was actually a Fender Stratocaster (I believe it was a Hellacaster Signature model) that had 3 P pickups on it. It was freakin awesome. It had this sparkly black finish.

10. The band was badass... and I wish I knew who they were...

11. My friend was asking the same thing... I had thought that they were just hired guns.

12. Yeah... they more or less probably were, I just wonder who they were... they were awesome

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If I were Kelly Osbourne, 17, daughter of Ozzy, having lived the life I can only guess she's living, and with the maturity level of most seventeen year olds, I'd do what she did. I think it's asking a lot from a kid to do what you suggest. I think one must keep in mind the context of her surroundings before criticizing her choices. She may very well feel the way you do when shes your age, but it's easy for me to see why she doesn't now.

14. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I think she did pretty good. I really liked The White Stripes.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    perhaps, although i think that a teenager might actually be _more_ prone to "strike out" against or away from her parents.

also, no criticism of her choices was implied. just not the choices i would've made. took guts regardless - getting up there knowing that everyone is going to be comparing you to dear old dad would be ennervating to say the least.

16. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I was pleasently suprised by her voice, I know how alot of people say to pay due's and such, but she can actually sing, it took me about three takes before I realized it was her. And as for her nervousness, its natural, especially if your very first preformence is being broadcast as widely as that was. I thought she did fairly well. Good band too.

17. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Hopefully in the future she doesn't pull a Bonjovi!!

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's how I saw it; brave of her to take the stage knowing that, as I sure she must have.

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I was actually quite impressed with her singing. I admit I didn´t expect a lot, but it was a pleasent surprise.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If my Daddy was Ozzy Osbourne I'd be in therapy.