1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so what do you talk about with your teenage sons?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ever partaken in a conversation with your teenage son/s?

what do you talk about?

oh yeh school work, how are you going at school son?...yeh ok.
    oh whats your fav subject? ....uhhh none

ummm

ever tried talking about what he listens to in music. Dad dont worry, Dad you wouldnt like it...etc

so what else do you talk about to keep the conversation going?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I've talked with my parents regularly all throughout my teenage years, I guess that is just the sort of relationship we have. I've been heavily involved in the family business for years and so we often talk about work, as well as other things related to our industry, local events etc.

I also talk politics, philosophy etc. with my parents a lot, always have. I guess you just have to find something that interest him and that he wants to talk about.

Though when it comes to "What'd you get up to on the weekend" generally all I'd reply with is "Not much". Same for when I was in highschool "How was school?" "Not bad".

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Well what did you talk about with your parents at your son's age?

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It depends a lot on the topic at hand.
    If I ask "How's school?" I'll get the "it's ok."
    How's work? "yeah, it's ok" Depending on the question, I'll even sometimes just get a grunt in response...
    But since they were little, I've always made a point to try to take some interest into what they are interested in. The oldest is into aero-space, physics and rocketry, so we'll often watch rocket launches together (they're often broadcast live on TV or internet) or we'll watch shows like "The Universe" and talk about that. He also has a band, him and my middle son actually, so we'll all talk about music and such. The middle son is really into aviation so sometimes I'll buy two airplane models for instance and we'll hang out and build them together and so on.
    So, yeah normal conversation is "typical teenager" just like I did with my parents, but we actually do a lot of stuff together so it evens out nicely.

5. HS was a pretty awkward time for me. I'm sure for others, it's the same. Don't take it personally.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't have kids, but here's a suggestion ; talk about chicks.

That's bound to be a subject you 2 could share a lot about.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    When my son was a teenager, we talked about cars and trucks, building houses, video games, spiritual things, math (he loves math), the future, football, snowboarding, and whatever else he brought up. Now that I think about it, we rarely talked about cooking, and so today he has very limited skills in the kitchen. I failed on that one. Bummer.

-Mike

8. and then go clubbing.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Girls

10. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Drugs, sex and euclidean geometry.

11. Never talked to my dad about anything else than the weather and cars.

He's not interested...

My mum isn't as bad but we don't talk about much other than my work and my hobbies.

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Pythagorean geometry is so much cooler! \m/

13. Music and Movies he is very interested in both and when that is exhausted the WWE ha ha ha

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Teenagers love music.
    You must like music too.
    Even if the music he likes is nothing like the kind you like you need to make a effort to at least know something about his music.

It is up to you to find the common ground and make the best of it.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Music and movies were always things I was able to discuss with my parents, especially since I was playing in bands.
    These days I talk about all kinds of things with my parents. Ive opened up to them a lot in the last few years, Ive even divulged to them my past illicit drug use.
    I like talking politics with my dad.

16. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    All three of my boys were different going through those teenage years. I just had to find out different things with each of them. Think our one common ground in it all was paintball or Bungie's Halo series for Xbox.

(Now that they're grown it's Battlefield 3)

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My son is not a teen yet (he's almost 10), but we have touched base on a few occasions just about every topic posted (save for Geometry, he's not taking it yet). :smug:

18. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I wished my dad would have talked with me about women, sex and how to be smart about that crap. Instead he only talked about drugs and how they messed up his life....which was good and all but didn't keep me from making stupid decisions when it came to women for many many years.

19. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Fathers and big brothers should talk to their brothers/sons about women and how to act. I did not have a brother and my father was rarely around- travel for work and then divorce. Boys need to learn how to be cool, play a little hard to get, talk to girls like friends and such. They also need to learn "man" stuff from them- dressing, behavior, being true to oneself, and such.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, my dad never taught me that stuff and I ended up with fairie wings...