Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so what do you think about your essex pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jun 17, 2004.

1. so i have a question...i hear about a lot of people here getting essex basses with the intent to upgrade all the parts, specifically pickups (and the bridge, but i will save that question for the bridge section of the forums as soon as that comes along :D )
    anyways, has anybody actually upgraded their pickups? i have a post up asking for essex pickups (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131223) but nobody seems to have their old set.
    Is everybody just happy with the essex pickups? now i am not blaming them, because i had an essex and it sounded a billion times better than my mim fender, and i was even going to buy the essex for upgrading only!
    so is everybody happy with their essex jazz pickups? or do they just not want to sell them to me?

Charlie

2. nobody remembers having an essex or something? :D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Essex pickups are fine. Im probably going to replace them with the stock pickups that were in my Godin. I dont think itll make a drastic difference, but i think it might sound alittle brighter.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mine are sitting in the plastic box. I don't want to sell them coz if I ever sell the bass, I'll reinstall the stock pickups and keep the Alembics that are in the bass now.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I love my SX pickups. Great jazz tone with some serious bottom end to them. I would most likely have to fork over some serious cash to find something I like better. Only thing I plan on doing to my SX is a new nut and maybe a fret job.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, nothing wrong with the SX pickups. I have em in my fretless and it sounds great.

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    My SX (jazz) pickups are fine, I've got no plans to change them.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I like my SX pickups but whenever I turn my tone knob over 25% I get some serious feedback.

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I guess I'm in the minority. I think they're sucky, and I'd be happy to sell you mine. I have Lace Sensors in my Essex, and those I like. But then I'm not really a "vintage-Jazz" kind of guy.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've had/have 3-4 of the Essex line (which I heavily mod'ed) and I really did not care for the pickups in any of them. That was the first thing I replaced in each of them.

11. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Are the pickups on the SX Jazzes same-sized neck or bridge dimensions?

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been working on an SX jazz. The pickups are okay, but the bottom end is too big for my tastes...typical of pickups with ceramic bar magnets across the bottom. But they're warmer than some of this style.

My bass got an old set of Bartolinis I had in a drawer and a Gotoh 201 bridge. These pickups are warmer and not as deep.

BTW, the SX has different sizes for neck and bridge. The Barts dropped in, although I had to file a tiny bit off the pickguard because the screw lugs were a slightly different shape. I imagine that if I sold the bass I'd put the original bridge and pickups back...they weren't bad, just not what I wanted.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm going to get a new P pickup for my SX very soon, I'm still deciding what kind I should get.

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What would you guys suggest replacing the SJB-62MG with? I'm thinking Bartolini or Seymour Duncan, is there space to make this active without drilling a cavity?