1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so, what do you think is best for me to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I have 2 Dean Sledgehammer 5's. One is my "bastard guinea pig" which many of you know I did a 2nd pickup installation and series/parallel/split coil switching for each pickup. I love this bass, I'm keeping it.

the other is the one that I vowed to leave all original. I did the same pickup switching on that one, though, it makes for a better bass with slightly more versatility.

I decided to put that one up in the classifieds, but it seems that no one is really interested. I put it up because I felt that I'd just thin the herd out a bit, you know, clean house.

But since no one cares about it, I started thinking about just keeping it and do a similar 2nd pickup install, except this time a P-pickup. A Delano ceramic P to be exact, the PMVC 5 FE/M2

pmvc5fe.jpg

It is supposed to have the same sized housing as a standard 4-string P. I stopped by my local luthier, and he has a bunch of P-pup routing templates. Not an issue like I had with the MM pickup (no template and couldn't get one made....:rollno: )

So what says you? that P-pup in this bass:

DSC_0475.gif

...or should I go with a J-pup in the neck?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've seen your bass in the classifieds and i think its a great looking bass, just not my style.

i'm not huge on P pickups at all so my vote would probably be for the J if you're going to route it.

I would probably leave it alone though.

3. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    +1

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like P pups better then J's so would agree with your choice of a P pup set for neck position.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

If P, reverse P.

6. I'm SO silly!!!!
    I totally forgot I had a set of Ceramic magnet J pickups sitting in my parts drawer.

So, instead of doing a P, I'm going with a J neck pickup, which means I don't have to spend $160+ for a pickup.

So I'm also thinking of going with a P-nut FNA look to the bass, except much, much cheaper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

samples:
    I'm not sure if I should go slant either way or straight across. Does the tone really vary that much to make a difference, or is it a matter of how it "looks"?

P1040729.gif

P1040728.gif

P1040730.gif

I wanted to go ceramic since the MM is a ceramic as well. The J is the same size as a standard Fender JV neck pickup, so it can ber replaced with ease rather than doing a weird pickup size (loke so many aftermarket pickups are unless noted that they are standard)

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Slant it like the Warwicks - with the lower portion closest to the neck. You'll get a more consistent tone.

8. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    I agree, slant it like the first example. Not to mention it just flows with the shape of the body. I think that'll make the bass look pretty nice, I've never played one but it definitely will look like a poor man's Warwick

9. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Awesome idea, Ed! Slant it like the 'wick Jazzmans!