So, what exactly are EMG Selects?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 1, 2005.

1. So, i've been looking around at pickups, and i notice a lot of my bass heroes have some EMG setup for pickups. Anyhow, i see that some companies use EMG Select pickups...the EMG website doesn't say much about them one their website, so whats the story with these pickups?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are cheap. They work, but I have no idea what they sound like. But they are cheap. Get some used pickups if you are looking for a different tone.
  3. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I put EMG Select pups in my Yamaha RBX250 (first bass) and they were a definete improvement on the stock pickups. But they're still pretty far from the real deal EMG pickups.
    They were cheap though. Definete plus.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Selects are passive pickups made by EMG. IMO, I think they sound pretty good. I had an Essex bass with the Select J's along with an Aguilar OBP-1 & the bass sounded awesome.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup - passive pickups voiced to EMG's liking. One nice thing about basses equipped with them is that the rout is the same as EMG actives, making it an easy switch to actives.

I much prefer "real" EMGs but they really aren't that bad, especially for the money.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    My first bass had emg selects. Truthfully, I didn't like the sound of that bass (sold it), but I can't blame it on the pickups since it was a cheaper Ibanez bass.
  7. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Good to see the Select stigma lifting...though they *are* uber cheap. For the money though they sound good.
  8. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I read somewhere that the "Selects" are an EMG design manufactured in Asia. I had one on a Wish Bass and it was OK, but no better than OK. I had considered replacing it with a Bartolini, but I sold the bass instead.
  9. yeah, i actually don't even have a bass to fit them onto yet, but i read tom cole's wish interview, and he mentioned the EMG selects...i have actually heard of them before, but he restarted my interest in them, and how they are different from regular EMGs...
  10. got the Select PJ set in a Fender P plus, and the P in a Warmoth P-clone. quite punchy, reasonably bright for passive p/ups, and covered polepieces (ceramic blades, I think)
    the J in the PJ set is noisy though
    (although in a JJ setup (I tried a Hohner B bass with that setup) they are quiet when both full-on)

also got Select humbuckers in a HohnerB2A - a bit dark sounding in passive mode, but a nice midrange grind to the neck p/up.

EMG also do a passive PJ set in the HZ range- it appears the J in this is a stacked humbucker.