1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So What exactly does "vintage modified" stand for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prokfrog, Dec 21, 2017.

1. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Hi All, I bought a vintage modified Jazz V a few months ago. I bought it as a dedicated Eb tuned bass for my new gig. I really like this bass, but what the heck does Vintage Modified mean?

Thanks

2. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I’m pretty sure it is kind of what the name implies, a Squier line based on vintage guitar models with various mods (or upgrades). Kind of like some of the “hot rod” series where they take a vintage design and make some small changes to it. On here the VM guitars are well regarded for their price points. I owned one a bit back and it was a solid instrument.

3. I think it basically means "vintage-style, but don't get picky about it". Real vintage Fenders weren't made of basswood and didn't have miniature pots, for example. But the Squier VMs are nice instruments from what I've seen. My daughter has one of the 2012 VM Jaguar basses (long scale with concentric pots). It plays well and sounds great. Our one annoyance with it is that the output jack tends to come loose once a year or so, though I don't think it's done that since the last time I tightened it (then again, she hasn't been playing it much lately -- too busy with her clarinet work for school).

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, I looked up your model.

It seems the neck is a “slim C” shape. So the neck was skimmed down for this model. Mod.

The neck was also “vintage tinted”. Mod.

“Soft maple body”. Different from other models. Mod.

I’m sure there are more. But the point is that it’s made to look like a vintage bass but with some modifications.

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    It means....

1-Spaceballs-quotes.

...absolutely nothing!!!!

But it sounds good and it sells so....

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

6. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Yeah. I must say. I thought I would soon find myself needing/wanting to swap pickups, hardware, etc. But right out of the box with a fresh set of strings and it's gig ready. Not changing a thing!

BigDanT likes this.
  7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It means that Fender wants you to believe it has vintage-esque qualities to it, but modified to accommodate a value-based budet. :D

Mastermold likes this.
  8. Another modification is putting the truss access on the headstock.

pasi likes this.
  9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    My 2 cents........I started playing in the mid late '70's.

Back then and through the '80's the big thing was take an original Fender Jazz or Precision and mod the hell out of it.

Choices weren't like they are today. You had Fender , Gibson, Rickenbacker and maybe a few others. That's why today you see P/J basses, Precision's with black block jazz necks, Jazz basses with Gibson mudbuckers, Mustangs with P/j set ups, ect..... its all been done before, but they were cool mods. Fender is just making them as stock instruments now.

Hence, Vintage "Modified"

Flooflox and dmt like this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    They've taken a vintage (read: old) design (what does Fender or Squier make that isn't based on an old design?) and Changed whatever they thought would sell more, and hence make them more money (or cost them less money), from where it's made, to the parts, to the finish, etc....

It's like those adds that say "up to 50% off or more" - any number fits, as it's less than equal to, or greater than 50%. Hence it's a meaningles statement. "Vintage modified" - same thing. It's just a name, nothing more.

11. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Old school, new bling, perhaps.

12. GilbouFR

GilbouFR

Dec 1, 2017
    Rusty tools were used. Thus.. Vintage.

[exit] <-------

13. Yeah it's just a marketing name that sounds better than merely saying "looks kinda vintage"!

14. GilbouFR

GilbouFR

Dec 1, 2017
    It means they first built the bass.
    Then, they modified her to give her vintage-like components.

Vintage usually means 50's or 60's or 70's
    In those times, the pickups were built of different materials : alnico usually which means aluminium + nickel + cobalt. What they wanted for the pickups were permanent magnets. They did not want to sale you an instrument whose magnets would lose their magnetic field over time. And in those eras, Alnico gave permanent magnets that were not too expensive and we didnt knew about more modern powerful magnets we have today.

So your bass has been modified to use Alnico pickups instead of Ceramic ones, because it changes the sound a little.
    Various other parts of your bass have been modified for parts that are more vintage. The idea is to both reproduce the look and sound of the era.

A lot of players learn by imitation, like monkeys. We listen to bands we like and imitate them.
    That's how kids learn, that's how we learn to play. And we usually do that by listening to the people that came before us, so by using vintage instruments, we get closer to their sound, so we can reproduce it and learn...

I like metal. So I was interested in what bands my favorite modern bands listened to. They listened to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and so on... Those bands themselves listened to previous artists so as I kept diggin' I went further back to the 60's and 50's.

No wonder I play a 70's bass today. Of all the eras, the sound I prefer is 60's and 70's (with a clear preference for 60's !).

I think your bass is using pickups designed by Fender and built by Seymour Duncan for them for this specific bass.
    You are using "square/rectangular" inlays on the neck which is typical of the 70's and nowadays the inlays are usually small and round (big inlays are kick ass).
    The shape of the neck also is specific and more "vintage" shaped because modern necks are not cut the same way.

So your bass has :
    - modified neck compared to a standard Squier
    - SD made pickups
    - specific turning knobs
    - better inlays
    - bar style instead of round string retainer

It required more work, it's more expensive, and it's quality is considered one notch above a standard Squier.

15. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Squier VM Cabronita...sorta like a (vintage)precision with a (modified) fideli'tron p'up I guess...

newbass.

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

It means "made in China"

Old Blastard and dmt like this.
  17. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Ummmm...excuse me. INDONESIA! lol

Old Blastard likes this.
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It's secret code for "we want to sell you this".

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Vintage = +25% on MSRP
    Modified = +25% on MSRP

They’re pretty decent instruments though. I’ve owned two!

20. pasi

pasi SUSPENDED

Jan 6, 2015
    Leo did it right first time,what else he did not do right. Many things ... fender is poopie