So, what exactly is inside a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm interested in learning about how the bass actually works inside...what all the parts are and all that. I've never seen any site or anything that explains how all the electronics inside make it there anyone here(or anyone that knows of a website) that could tell me just what makes a bass tick?(or make noise, so to speak)
  2. ok.. to make it simple and short :)

under the strings are some iron sticks with a lot (!) of wide wound around them, and a magnet under it.

- the strings vibrate.
    - the magnetic iron sticks with the wire in combination with the vibration of the strings generate a small current ( works the same way as the dynamo on your bike )
    - the current travels thru some pots that controll the volume and tone.
    - then the current goes to the output jack which is connected to the amp.

on a passive bass, the tone is controlled by a pot that shortcuts the signal with the ground, and so cutting away the high frequencies.

the type of wood and material of the tuners, bridge, nut and frets have influence on the vibration of the strings. this influences the tone.

the material and magnetical stength of the iron sticks, the number of windings and thickness of the wire that is wound around the iron sticks, as well as the distance between the iron sticks and strings.. this influences the tone and volume.

capiche ? :)
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks Allodox, now I know how a bass works (very roughtly of corse). I think that should go in the new FAQ aswell :) Im curious to what everyone else thinks aswell... :)
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Mine's filled with creamy milk chocolate. Mmmmmmm.....chocolate....
  5. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    milk chocolate?!? i looked everywhere for one filled with milk chocolate. hold on to that one, it's sure to be a collector's item. on a side note, i DID find one with oreo creme. can you say 'double stuff'? i knew that you could...
  6. millions of spiders! don't open it!
  7. Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    First ELO now this lot, you really like old music dont you Gruff. ;) winky smiley added cos you like it.
  9. Actually in true Terry Pratchet style, inside your bass is an imp with (wait for it) a keyboard. He watches your strings through a telesope that he holds in his right hand to see what string(s) you hit and where your fretting hand is.

With his left hand he then plays the appropriate note(s) on the keyboard;) :D :D
  10. As soon as I hear some newer music that I like, I am sure I will like it.:eek:

Oh by the way I heard this newer band called Blue Oyster Cult. Pretty catchy riffs.
  11. i've got one imp per string. i can play one string and the others don't make any noise at all. unfortunately, they're union members. it's one expensive bass....
  12. I thought so too. There's another one called Foghat that isn't too bad.
  13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Blue Oyster Cult has been around for decades...

I've had "Don't Fear The Reaper" for ages.

Blue Oyster Cult History

Thay've been around since the 60's
  14. It's called sarcasm. It's being laid on so thick you can smell it.

Blue oyster cult. I fear the reaper...damn you.
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Actually my leg pulling has backfired as I saw Blue Oyster Cult in 79. I'm not a fossil, I was a small boy honest.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - on the outside, mine has a thin layer of Zebrano and inside there is some very nice maple! No not syrup - quilt maple for the body wings and birdseye for the neck - with some purpleheart stringers.