Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what goes into a pro setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SpankBass, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Whenever I hear the word "setup" the only thing that comes to mind is setting the string height, which can be done with some allen wrenches and a basic understanding of clockwise and counterclockwise. So the question is, why do people pay money for this? There has to be something more. Or is it kinda like getting your car professionally "Tuned up." Ya' know, $50 bucks for some new sparkplugs? :rolleyes:

2. Pro setups are usually different depending on where you go, but this is what I would expect from a basic setup.

1) Intonation
    2) String height
    3) Truss rod Adjustment
    4) Pick up adjustment
    5) Cleaning
    6) New strings (maybe)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, that's a basic setup, that I'd do myself. Having someone else do it and pay for that is paying someone to program your vcr.

To me a pro setup job, is a fretjob (redressing of the frets), plus all of the above to finish it off.

4. To me, a pro setup will be a bit more precise, using tools that wouldn't normally be used by an amateur like feeler gauges etc. A pro setup should also be repeatable by noting and recording various clearances and measurements. This would all be in addition to the things mentioned above.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Like the other guys said, theres a lot more that goes into a pro setup than just string height. I do not have any feeler gauges or anything to measure the radius of the neck on my bass, so I leave it to a pro. Also, a lot of these guys use strobe tuners to set the intonation, which is a much more accurate method than mine, which consists of using a basic guitar tuner.

6. Dave C

Dave C

May 20, 2002
    Boston, MA