1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So what happened to all the male singers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Oct 8, 2010.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The thing I've been noticing with the cover bands around here (DC) is that more and more of them seem to have a female fronting the band. I'm talking more about Rock n Roll bar bands, not Jazz or Wedding bands.

As far as cover bands, I see more ads for bands with a female vocalist looking than I do male. I also see more female vocalists with ads, and bands looking for female vocals. More and more of the working cover bands around here seem to have a female front, or at least a female co-lead.

10 or more years ago, it seemed like most local Rock bands were all male with an occasional female front. Now it seems like the all-male band is disappearing around here.

Anyone else see a similar trend?

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I guess because female-fronted bands sell better... yeah, it's a sexist society we live in.

Over here, male-fronted bands are still the norm, with only a few bands having chick singers (incidentally, if you turn on the radio, all you hear is women lol). Out of all bands I personally know, only mine even has ANY women in the band.

3. Octoplus

Octoplus

Aug 17, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    From the top of my head, I think that it's largely because most women have a singing range that covers much of the popular music spectrum. Compare the number of tenors, altos, and sopranos in pop music to the number of baritones and basses. I myself have a pretty decent vocal range, but I'm not going to pull off AC/DC, Journey or Michael Jackson tunes very well at the next Karaoke night I go to. Not without hurting myself, or octaving down and sounding like a total doofus.

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    My band has 3 guys who share lead and backup vocals. Most bands in my area are all guys but there are a few with female singers or musicians and quite a few really good ones. Most of the female singers around here also play an instrument and only a few just sing. One band that recently broke up was all female players/singers. They were a novelty for awhile but they were not very good and did not last long.

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Around here, it still is mostly male, but my band has a female singer and its great. Not only is she a great singer, she is easy on the eyes, works the room like no one Ive played with before and we get more attention because of it.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Yep, my band has male vocals, and there are one or two others with males vocals playing the same circuit, but seem that most of the other bands have been going to females.

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I like to do both for variety. It is not hard to find a female front and a guitar player that also sings.

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    the female fronted band sells!

I also think part of it is that (at least around here) the average age of working bands is older and older....I don't know if all the young kids have Guitar Hero shows somewhere but it appears that every year fewer new 'young' bands are forming...stand to reason then that the young people are not going out to watch live music as much either.

Add to that that most of the older 'band guys' are married or no longer able to fit into their acid washed skin tight jeans, having a lady singer gives the girls in the crowd something to identify with...they no longer want to blow the guitarist in the bathroom because he is a fat balding dude now...BUT after a few drinks they can pretend they are the middle aged woman singing on-stage instead of whatever crappy life/job they actually have..."THEN Tommy would notice when I get a hair cut!!!"

Also it seems that around here people are far more forgiving of the heavy-set middle aged lady singer than the tubby dude in a leather sweater vest (regardless of his 'awesome harp chops')

The only thing that would sell more imho would be a band fronted by a Hot, Pouty, girly-looking Vampire with a penchant for falling in love with dumpy, plain girls.....or a band that somehow incorporated an obnoxious amount of Dancing and ******** shows about dancing into their act....ok now I am getting crazy;)

9. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Let's face it, most guys can't sing that high, especially as they get older. How many of us can sing like Robert Plant did in Led Zeppelin? Steve what's-his-name in Journey? Steven Tyler in Aerosmith? Don Henley or Timothy B. Schmidt in the Eagles? McCartney? Hell, I have trouble hitting all of Jagger's and Lennon's range!

Get a chick singer, problem solved! Plus, as has been said, a good looking chick fronting the band is a crowd draw. Experience taught me that, in a band I played in in the 90's, Ivy League

www.backonearthband.com

10. I see quite a few female fronted bands, but all guys are still the majority. I actually have 2 female singers in my band, but I sing about 60%, and they slit the other 40. Is it all about marketing? you bet.

11. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Male singer here. I perform in a band which has a male lead singer (the main lead singer, though I do as well). I played a three-bill gig recently, with all male singers, and not a woman onstage in any capacity. But... you do have a point, and some good points are made. And perhaps the "tail also wags the dog" when you see enough bands with women singers, you get to thinking, perhaps, that a female singer is the best way to go. As a male lead singer, multi-instrumentalist, I'm probably disiclined to think a female lead singer is always and/or the best way to go, but I certainly admit it is a viable option worth seeking out, sometimes as an equally valid choice.

12. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I'm the lead vocalist in all my bands, in fact I really consider myself a singer who plays bass, rather than the other way around, but I have been in bands with a female singer and I loved it because of all the harmony and duet possibilities it brings.

There's also no disputing the fact that a hot chick out front ups the tip quotient in a bar setting, and the sexier the outfit the better the tips.

The downside is that somebody in the band always ends up sleeping with her and it becomes Fleetwood Mac...then they're a pair..."WE think we should only play Abba songs".

The end is not far away at that point.

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I think more women sing, period, and good male singers are hard to find. I play with a large children's choir and it's 90% girls; the proportion among singing adults is probably not much different. More guys play instruments, though, especially "rock" ones.

I've known a few originals bands that really wanted a male singer, couldn't find one, and ended up settling for a woman after a few months of looking.

14. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Similar to my last thread.

I just think it's a dying format.

Back in the day, correction "back in my day" there were a lot of sharp Rock Guys on the local scene that new how to front a band and could sing.

Something happened over the years, guys got less cool started showing up wearing cargo shorts and everything went to hell.

15. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    We have a female lead and a male co-lead/guitar player with most of the attention going to the girl for obvious reasons.
    Over the last couple of years we have heard straight up from all the agents that we have approaced that sex sells, the girl has to have a decent voice but more importantly she has to have sex appeal, dress well and not be much older than 30, our singer is 26 and we are in our early 40's and it has worked well for us so far!

16. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I was in a band where all the other members were female. The vocalist, guitarists, and drummer! (I felt like I was in Hole)

It was interesting, to say the least, but it wasn't the type of music that drew a lot of drooling neanderthals (Goth/Punk). There was plenty of drama, though. :rolleyes:

My current gig (if you'd call it that) has one female member. She does backing vocals and plays violin on a few tunes. She's easy on the eyes, and is a blast to have around.

17. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    The choral analogy is excellent. As a 1st tenor, I always have an opening in a choir if I want to pursue it.

18. I was filling in for a band with a girl singer for a while. She couldn't sing to save her life, but she was into dance, and so had these really interesting moves on stage, very sexy.... nice looking, nice shape.

No problem booking that band, and they were playing nice clubs....

Randy

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We have two singers. The male has better chops overall and sings lead on upwards of 60-70% of the list. But we brought the female in a) to sing backup and b) because there were some songs we wanted to play that he just couldn't hit.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    We had a female singer. We put out an ad, people auditioned, she had the most skill and creative input.

She could also scream and liked all the same prog music we did. It was a no-brainer. :)