1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so.. what happened?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikio, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Bad Ass II Bridge is supposed to get you more sustain, among other things, but yesterday I went to the Fender Chile shop and played a Marcus Miller, a Geddy Lee and a 2008 Standard Jazz Bass....

The Standard one had a LOT more sustain than the other two that had a Bad Ass II, while the it had a "regular" bridge

so... what happend?

PS: anyway, I bought the Geddy Lee model :bassist:

2. The BadAss is just another gimmik form the '70's....
    That's what happened
    :D

3. Very good explanation!

4. Oh and congrats on the big purchace!
    Geddy's are pretty sweet for a Fender!
    :hyper:
    Peace
    :bassist:

5. Maybe the BA-equipped basses had other issues that affected whatever increase in sustain might have come w/the added mass of the bridge. Not claiming or denying the effect of one bridge over the other, just saying the bridge is only one of many parts combining to produce sound.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Only way to 'really' make a decent judgement for yourself is to swap bridges on the same bass and nothing else.

Different basses, different bridges, different pickups, different builds, etc etc etc... everything adds up to the basses tone and sustain.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The BAII bridges are overrated IMO. My 62 RI Jazz gets wayyy better sustain, has better action and feel than my Geddy.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Did they all have the same strings, right out of the package?

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    the Badass does have more sustain over the stock bridge, but it's not the only factor, there are many others.
    Congrats on the Geddy Lee!!

10. Limpingbass

Limpingbass

Sep 19, 2008
    IL
    I will be the first to say it.....

No pics, no Geddy Lee bass w/ Bad Ass II Bridge :D

11. Where's the Fender shop in Santiago?

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1

Had one on my first Rick, it was nicer than the original bridge but then so would a regular Fender bridge have been.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nicest sustain I ever got from a bridge was on my MIA Fender Deluxe Jazz - it had a string thru design. Awesome sustain.

14. Don't listen to 'em all!Badass Bridges are very nice pieces of hardware.You probably got a hold of something really rare,especially 2 in one music store.It's called bad pieces of wood.Or,hopefully just they had a bad setup.Surely Fenders quality control hasn't went down and the prices up.

15. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    haha!

I will upload pics soon I guess, but I don't have the camera now

@everyone: well, is probably as most say, probably is a whole bass thing, the nut might be the biggest difference!

@58super: it's in Condell w/Rancagua, the address is Rancagua 422

http://www.fender.cl/

there is a lil map in their site

16. I know that to get all the tone benefits from the BAII you have to file the string slots very well. As painful as this is to bring up, I am among friends, so I'll fess up.

I had an original 1963 P-Bass that I "hot rodded" in the mid-'80s. I kept all of the original components, but I put EMGs in it and added a BAII bridge. I had the work done at Friendly River Music in Portland and the repair guy did an excellent job. I was using the standard Rotosound 66 set at that point, and the string to saddle fit was perfect. It really made the bass sustain and I was very pleased with the results.

A lot of the BAII-equipped basses I have seen do not have a good string/saddle fit and that really does make a difference, IMHO.

Oh ... and, yes. I would give BOTH of my boys (not a father, BTW) up to have that bass back again. Who knew that they would become such a commodity?!? After all, I got it by trading a $200 Seagull acoustic with some dude, even-Steven.
    *throws up a little in mouth*

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'm not a fan of Badass bridges, but your observation is too limited. In all likelyhood, it was just old strings on the BA equiped bass. With an open string, the nut is part of the equation, too.

18. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    the bass had nice strings, not really old, and the one I have now has the same sustain for new strings lol, I'll send it for calibration though, it's not perfect yet xP

19. The 08 Standard has the hidden Sustain Generators - no one is supposed to know about them :bag:

20. Lest we forget, the '08 Standard has a rather beefy bridge, and it's string through. It also has carbon stiffening bars in the neck. Apple and oranges here. IME heavy bridges have a larger(but still small) effect on lightweight basses. Mostly it will make a lightweight bass sound a touch brighter. Little or no change when added to a heavy(11+ lbs) bass.