So what have you been reading lately

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I.E. Paper/hard copy stuff. TB doesn't count.

Books, magazines etc.

I've been reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which is a great book and should be read by everyone, preferably outside of an academic setting because I feel that ruins some books. I've also been knee-deep in my Urban studies readings which just seem to pile up.

For fun; I'm reading James Joyce....seriously. I'm currently reading "Dubliners", haven't read any of his other works, but I really like the stories in Dubliners. Also, when I have the time I read Bruno Schulz's "Street of Crocodiles" which is another amazing book, and very similar in many ways to "One Hundred Years of Solitude".
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Mostly Nazi related books for my Genocide class and my own education.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Marquez is fantastic. Joyce was a genius, but Dubliners is really the only accessible book he's done. But if you like Dubliners, also try the collected short stories of Dylan Thomas.

The last two books I read are "Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory McGuire and "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. Both are highly recommended if you like intelligent, imaginative fiction. Neither are on the Joyce/Marquez level, but variety is good.
  4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    anything with fabio on the cover, hustler, erotic stories, etc.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This sounds really ignorant but lately I mostly read magazines. I have free subscriptions to

ESPN: The Magazine
    Field and Stream
    PC Mag
    Computer Shopper

and paid subscriptions to:
    Bass Player
    Texas Monthly

I'll soon add American Rifleman.
    Those magazines pretty much all keep me busy. I used to read a lot of books...magazines are destroying me! I'm going to let those free subscriptions run out. It's hard to turn down free subs though!

brad cook
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    America: The Book (very good)
    Tank Girl
    Smax (Alan moor mini-series)
    William Gibson - All Tomorrow's Parties
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I just finished the book Aztec by Gary Jennings. I had planned to read Les Miserables right after that, which I started today. I think I've changed my mind.

After 1000 or so pages of Aztec names I can't pronounce, I don't want to read a book with French names I can't pronounce.

I think I'll read The Shining.
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    To Kill a Mocking Bird.

I found it to be a good little read.
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "The Venture of Islam" by Hodgson. Thick reading, but very informative from a historical standpoint.

Next in queue: "The Road to Omaha" by Robert Ludlum. :D
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    In my experience, you don't read Tank Girl so much as get pummelled over the head with it. The art is fantastic, but trying to follow the story is futile. Unless you got one of the newer books and not the stories with Alan Martin writing.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    "starship troopers" by heinlen - excellent book, nothing at all like the movie, as in not one bit
    "beholder's eye"
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Currently: Moby Dick (Melville)

Finished: Clear and Present Danger (Clancy)

About to start: Catch 22 (Heller)
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Presently I'm re-reading ""The Demon Haunted World (Science As A Candle In The Dark)" by Carl Sagan

It is reminding me that EVERYONE should read it.

Just finished "Comet" also by Carl (I'm on a bit of a "Sagan kick" right now).

Gonna have to lighten it up a bit soon, may get back into reading some Clancy or something, some fun stuff.

Ivan, "Starship Troopers" is an excellent book, the movie was a travesty, utterly disgusting how they took the title of the book, a few characters from it, and totally threw away any semblence of what Heinlein was saying...matter of fact, I believe they actually said the opposite of what he intended (it was an anti-facist story, and the humans were actually the "bad guys"). If he'd been alive when that came out, the producers, writers, and director would all have suffered a horrible death at his hands, I'm afraid. They would have deserved it, it would have been ruled "justifiable homicide", and there would have been parades in his honor.

(...can you tell I hated the movie? :hyper: )
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK

I havent read the book, but I will look into it, however in the movie the human's were also the bad guys. Paul Verhoven (of Robocop fame) is reknowned for making anti-fascist statements in movies. If you listen to the commentary on the film he makes a lot of anti-facist statements in the movie. The whole film is "anti-human". :D
  16. playboy and hustler
    ohh Bass Player magazines too!
  17. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide. I just finished The Exorcist.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    After slogging through the first 25 issues of Hellblazer and some other assorted "deep" comics, I'm fine with getting beat over the head for a while.
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Hmmm... I'm reading The Malady of Islam... close :D