Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, what IS an EMG "HZ" anyway?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steinbergerxp2, Sep 4, 2001.

1. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I looked all over the EMG site and couldn't find a reference to them (the 40HZ specifically; a 5 string soapbar). I find that ESP uses them.

Is this an "American" EMG Select?

OEM-only stuff?

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Good question.... some Epiphone basses also use them

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    EMG Hz pickups are, unlike their standard EMG counterparts, passive. This gives a different tone from the ultra-modern EMGs that most people are familiar with. My guess is they are cheaper to make, and then when people see that their shiny new bass comes with EMGs (wow!), it HAS to be good, right?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    HZ is short for high impedance. LZ is low impedance. Sometimes you'll see "high Z" or "Low Z" in threads. I have called mic cables "Low Z cables" for years just because that is what I first heard them called.

EMG Active pickups are low impedance. Their passives are high. That's why you have to replace the pots also when you put EMGs in what was a passive bass.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanx Chasarms, It´s allways a pleasure learning new things every day

6. My esp bass comes with emg hz pickups. According to emg in a response to my email about converting it to 18 volts, they replied that their hz series is passive, and supplied only to some bass manufactures, esp, dean and spector, if memory serves me correctly. Also their preamp, b30 i think, is only available to these manufacturers.
    This is why you do not see them on their website, they are not available to everyone.
    eddie:)

7. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I knew that HZ was for High Impedance, but I didn't know that EMG actually built the circuit board ESP uses for a tone circuit (it seems adequate).

Thanx!

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a Steinberger Spirit 5-string fretless that has EMG passive pickups with the assumption that I would replace them with better-sounding ones. To my surprise, they sound good, so I'm leaving them in. I've had active EMGs before, and they were too sterile-sounding for my taste.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  10. Thanx Rev, I was just about to say they most certainly are available on their site, and to "everyone".

My question: DO THEY SOUND GOOD?

I was considering picking up a pair, but was hoping they weren't new-era "selects".

Any comments on their tone? I know they're ceramic magnets...that to me = bright tone.

11. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    They came with my Schecter custom 5. I myself am not crazy about the tone of them, as they are definetly bright. They do have a BOOMING bottom end though, I'll give them that. They are a little sterile sounding for my taste. I am looking to change out those EMG HZ's for something a little warmer sounding without sacrificing the highs or mids.
    LEB

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I thought they sounded pretty good...but I only changed them out of my main axe because I wanted it to sound markedly different from my back up axe...and then the DCs sounded so amazing, I defretted it, and the HZs just make that sound killer!

13. Kudos gents. Appreciate the remarks. I guess I'll keep lookin.

Peace!
    Ron