Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So - what is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gweimer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Time to poll the experts - I just picked up a couple of bodies for projects. One is an Epiphone Les Paul, which I suspect is a guitar body, and not a bass (2" neck pocket), but the other one is for my son, and I'm curious what it might be:
    Typical Fender-style body
    P-J pickup routing
    String-through bridge drilling
    4 in-line control holes (one input jack and three others)
    Back plate is a straight, narrow rectangle with rounded ends.

Any ideas?

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the string through-the-body and the controls make me think of a hot rod fender p-bass... what color are we looking at, and did it come with a pickguard? I remember hot rods being either an orangish red color or a black with a red shell pickguard... does any of that help?

P@

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That sounds like the rear routing and plate for tremolo springs. Why would that be on a bass body?:confused:?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The body is black, and that's all I have. It looks to be the original finish. I picked it up off Ebay from one of those guys who sells off reject parts and leftovers. It's in pretty good shape, and it was cheap.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    It could be a Precision Bass Plus.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    embellisher, I guess I should clarify - the backplate is under the control holes, not the bridge!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Doh!

OK, what P/J's have I seen with a rectangular control plate?