1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So what is the best stand for a gigging musician

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by kittywithabanjo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have been using the Hercules for a number of years but find they aren't really holding up to the abuse of gigging. Looking to replace mine a double stand would be best.. But needs to stand the abuse.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use the K&M Memphis Pro.

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I find myself torn on which quality is most desireable for an instrument stand that I'm going to take with me on a gig:
    - Do I want robust indestructability? Hell yeah!
    - Do I want compact, lightweight, easy-to-travel-with-ness? Hell yeah!
    - Can I find both in the same product? Hell no!

4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've used Hercules in gigging on average 100-150 gigs a year for the last 8-9 years and never a issue. I also use the Hercules Wall hangers to have My bases out as wall art at the house lol. I know my bass is safe using these and never worry.

BluesOnBass and mohrds like this.
  5. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Do the stands that grab the neck put pressure on the neck as opposed to the lower ones that rest on the neck plate?

6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I have not found the perfect gigging stand, so I'll watch this thread.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I haven't found that to be the case.

jnslprd likes this.
  8. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    My double stand (Hercules) the foam on the bottom got pulled off my stand is in one of my speaker/mic stand bags. Also had one where the locking mechanism basically melted. It was weird..

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Don't mind me I'm just passing by.

tkastd.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Bumping this thread. I've got some 10 year old Hercules stands that are still going strong, and one older Ultimate GS-100 that is great, nice and sturdy. I've seen recent reviews saying the plastic in the recent years Hercules stands are disintegrating, causing failures. I bought two more Ultimate GS-100 stands last week, and they are wobbly garbage compared to my older generation GS-100. I need one or two more good quality, reliable stands. Help me find what I'm looking for!

Jhengsman and kittywithabanjo like this.
  11. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There isn’t any one best stand. You can only try to get the best stand for your gigging situation. Do you need a stand for 5 or 6 basses? Or, do you play on cramped stages and need a stand that takes up as little real estate as possible? This thread can be great for making suggestions and helping others find what they need, but there is no “best” stand.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Ultimate. I've had 4 of them for 10 years.
    Fit my 5 string necks really well.

tfer, Sav'nBass and kittywithabanjo like this.
  13. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    a hardshell case

;)

As much as i'd like to use a stand, there is no way I will anymore..Stages are just too small and chaotic..

That said, BL brings a folding multiple guitar rack which sits in a back corner of the stage, I've used that from time to time and find it a safe place to store my basses if I have to.

14. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I have a couple of Ultra folding stands that are almost 20 years old. About 5 years ago the rubber started crumbling, and I replaced it with a clear poly tubing with no sticking issues. I also have the comparable Musicians Friend stands, which do fine. But, I think the Ultras are better built - steel instead of aluminum, and the cradle arms are solid instead of hollow.

15. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I prefer the Hercules (although last summer, one of the four that I have had for years fell apart at the clutch—and it was weirdly sticky after it failed, too).

If the gig calls for ultralight packing, I like the Cooperstand folding Ecco-G if the stage will be secure after sound check. If I'm not sure who'll be tromping by my stage rig, the MarkBass Bass Keeper works well with cabs or rackbags that offer a side handle. Of these two, the MarkBass is far more secure.

Back in the golden age of rack rigs and fridge-sized cabs, there used to be a hinged instrument hanger that attached to the front rack rails and folded away inside the rack lid after the gig. I'd love to have a Hercules version of that.

16. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Sounds like how my one Hercules stand failed..

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    ak56 and Sav'nBass like this.
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Anyone know the best stand for metal?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Microbass likes this.
  19. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Metal never stops. So you don't put down your axe

BluesOnBass, tlc1976 and Element Zero like this.
  20. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot