Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what is the deal with Ritter basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fozzie, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Fozzie

Fozzie

Mar 31, 2004
    I am in the search for a great bass. On average I play in front of about 8,000 a week. Playing various styles of music in each venue. I am looking for a bass that can cover most styles of music. I am also looking for something that is unique.

I hear great things about the Ritter basses. I am wondering if these basses, specificly the classic. Will this bass be a great canidate for what I am looking for. I do not have a chance to play one so if I do decide on a Ritter I will be purchasing one without being able to play it. Will this bass give me tones from traditional J style to Jaco to smooth R&B to rock?

What american basses do these come close to as far as feel, sound, and playability? These dont have to be in one bass....meaning it can feel like "A" and sound like "B" and play like "C".

Thanks in advance.

The basses that I have played in the past are Zons and Elricks.

I would like to hear from people who have played them and have had some experience with them.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Welcome to Talkbass.

I will be nice the first time. Before a question is asked always search the archives. Ritters have been discussed extensively in them.

I have never played one or heard one so I am sorry that I cant help you there, but one thing to consider is that these basses are expensive art. I know I wouldn't be comfortable gigging with a 4000-7000 dollar bass. :D

Good Luck finding your information.

3. Fozzie

Fozzie

Mar 31, 2004
    I have searched and can not find any info talking about tone. Most of the posts I have found talk about how they look and not tone. I also have not found any comparisons.

So if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks

PS. why would you be nice the first time and not all the time?

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you stay here a while you will learn that. Basically most people with under ten posts think this is just Ask Talkbass or something, instead actually searching themeselves. Once you see the same topic pop up twice in one day because neither person searched you will realize this attitude

There is another thread open about a person who just went to the Ritter shop in Germany, so he probably could help you as far as their tone. Maybe that helps

5. Paul Shelby

Paul Shelby

Mar 9, 2004
    Fozzie, I'm also going to order a roya bass of Jens Ritter soon. These basses are extremely rare so I wasn't able to play one by myself.
    I just registered in the RITTER Forum at Yahoo! There you can get some information regarding sounds of the Ritters.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i like the Ritters. My only criticism, which probably wouldn't stop my from getting one is the ergonomic issues that come up when sitting down; I find them hard to control when sitting down... Otherwise I think they are cutting edge in design.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I agree, the Ritter Yahoo Forum probably is one of the best places to ask Ritter owners their opinions.

Best of luck with your search. Jens builds amazing instruments.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    they are amazing but are you selling any of them Brian ? They are definitely an aquired taste.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Yea, I've sold every new one I've had in or can get it. A lot of the times they sell prior to arriving. I have one used birdseye one, but its an older one with bartolini pickups. Not the newer pickups most people are wanting. Bass is killer and plays awesome.

Last year I was the # 1 Ritter dealer in the US.
    Aren't you impressed :D

Ritter's actually move really well.... for me atleast, but I guess I like that market!

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually I am impressed...and now i'm off to your site to look at the used one...