so what is this going to cost me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GetLow, Jun 16, 2005.

1. i have an american hot-rodded precision, you know... the kind that is known to have those messed up volume pots. i would like to get them switched out. i know that the pots themselves are relatively cheap, but what should i expect to pay to have the 2 replaced?

i know absolutley nothing about electronics and don't want to get screwed if i take it in to sam ash or gc.
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Are you replacing the pots based on the prediction that they will fail or have they actually failed? If indeed they have failed, why not replace them yourself? potentiometers are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Do a little research on how to do this instead of putting your bass in the hands of someone who might not know anymore than you do. There are threads on how to do this and several places on the net that sell Fender parts. Hope this helps.
  3. currently, the p and j pups only work with the volume full on. there is no way to cut out a little of either pup to get a good mix. i can basically only get one tone out of the bass because of this. i have done searches in an attempt to fix this problem and the results have pointed out faulty pots.
  4. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I check your Pickup Hight. I can tell a diffrence when I turn the J/pickup down and back up only in Vol.. The way I have mine my P pickups are about the same hight or a little lower then the J/bridge pickup. My P-pickup use to be a lot louder then the j-pickup untill I did the whole evening them out thing.
  5. i'll have to check that out. thank you.
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Unless you get a very friendly tech to do it you will be out something like 50-75 bucks for a rewire with new pots. I'd suggest rewiring the whole bass, new post, tone cap, wiring, output jack. If you go to a retailer like or you can score the parts for about $30. But doing the wiring, while not super difficult, is something that an experienced hand will do quicker, cleaner, and more solidly than a novice will.
  7. damn, what would that cost me? for a complete rewire by a pro.
  8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Actual costs are really volatile. My estimate is $30-40 in parts, and the same in labor. So $60-80. Are you near Bass Central? Maybe they can recommend a good tech or take the job themselves. After reading (here on TBL) about a guy local to me who quoted $500 for a defret on a HWY 1 J bass, I don't know what to expect anymore.
  9. i am relatively close to bass central, i didnt even think about them.

thank you so much for your help