1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so what is this sampling gizmo that people use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, May 9, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I'm not a big effects guy, I've been plugging my bass straight into an amp for 15 years. I just recently got an OD pedal specifically for a project I'm working on.

But when I'm at home practicing and noodling around, I feel like could use one of these sampling things...like what Jaco used and SO many others, something like :

what this guy has

is there a simple delay/sampling pedal that can do this or is it some hugely expensive rack system that I won't buy?

2. Boss and Digitech make different levels of loopers. Boomerang makes a more high end unit with more features. There's a plethora of options out there.

3. There's a bit of a difference between loopers & samplers- a looper is what the two vids feature & can be well, *looped* played over whereas a sampler, if I'm not mistaken will play a phrase, riff or whatever just once. Of course there's an entire UNIVERSE of cool & confusing stuff in either direction, far beyond what I know about. Do search *loopers* though. I have a Boss RC-20XL & love it.

Edit: Cheapest looper I know of would be the Boss RC-2; samplers I don't know so well(although I'm pretty sure that's not what you're after). :cool:

4. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Boss DD-7 can hold 40 seconds of loop data, too.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I think a sampler and a looper are basically the same thing. They record a phrase (can be very long) and play it back. Samplers are generally more equipped to do shorter phrases and often played back at different speeds. They tend to be better at resampling or starting the sample again midway through playback.

Some pedal loopers are better at different features. The Boss loopers are fantastic for longer loops (more than 2 seconds) and are geared towards recording a couple parts and playing over them like in the videos. The Boss loopers (and the Digitech ones I think) have other inputs so you can load tracks off an external source if you want to play a specific sound effect or backing track live.

The Line6 M9's looper function is more like a DJ-style sample and allows for easier pitch changes and other playback options on the fly, though it's also good at the style shown in the videos.

Anyway, there are a whole bunch of pedals and rack units capable of looping, so if you want one, it's research time. I heartily recommend a Boss RC-20xl. I use that and a Boss RC-50 and love both.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Thanks, I'll look into the Boss RC2, the stomp-box size pedal. The RC20XL is probably WAY more than I want for at home practice.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    looperlative...good vibes to looperlative...the best 'looping'(live sampling) device...to release the stompbox version...

8. If you go used, the RC-20XL will give you more bang for your buck. You could pick one up in the classifieds for around $200. In fact I think there's one there now. I've got one and it's great. I like having everything laid out right in front of me so the RC-20XL was a better choice for me even if I don't use it all the time.

EDIT: There is: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653412

9. J-Razz

J-Razz

Sep 24, 2009
    KS
    My guitarist loves the digitech jamman. You can also link it to your computer to back up your loops, and brand new it's a bit cheaper than the RC20-XL.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Line 6 M9 on top of being a great multi effect unit has a great looper/sampler.

11. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    that's true but in this guy's situation, I would suggest a DL4. it's just the looper(and other delays if you want them) and you can get em dirt cheap used too.

12. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    If you're interested in the
    it's the Eventide.

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto

I wouldn't. 14 seconds of full time looping will be *just* not enough for 4 bars worth of phrase depending on your tempo...which for me is one thematic idea.

the M9 has a doubled sample time, while you'd need to go to half speed sampling on the DL4 which would suck tone even harder.

Get a DL4 for cheap or save up for another month or 2. if you've waited this long you can wait longer.

Looper+delay (and everything else) is great to have.