Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"so... what is your act called?" "the aristocrats!"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    saw the aristocrats last night.

it was ...probably the dirtiest movie i've ever seen. but it was hysterical at parts (when it wasn't absolutely filthy).

the theater here enforced an nc-17 rating for it. this made me pause for a second, "wait--how old am i?" i was relieved to remember that i've been 20 for about a month. :hyper:

anyway, very funny, even though the joke is really lame. (but as you'll see, that's the whole fun of it.)

2. I love that it's just language.

That's it.

I wanted to go see it, but I couldn't since I'm only 16...

3. Ha , They won't even show that in MS. Id love to see it though.

4. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, it's an accomplishment to achieve an nc-17 rating (if only in one theater) without featuring (actual) sex or violence or anything.

just... people talking.

and... that's nc-17.

awesome. :bassist:

5. it's probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, in terms of total time spent laughing. Great as a documentary too; it's edited very very well.

Favorite parts:
    -Kevin Pollak's Walken impression
    -telling it to the infants
    -Sarah Silverman being hot.

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i thought sarah silverman was pretty funny in it. she really stood out with her take on the concept.

the onion editorial staff was pretty on it, too.

i wish i could say my favorite quotes. :D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had only seen the South Park version of the joke with Cartman telling it as a clip on M90.org. My jaw was on the floor, because I had no idea what the history of the joke was. Easily the funniest offensive-for-the-sake-of-offensive joke I had ever heard. 'Cause I can respect that. Shock humor is funny, as long it recognizes itself for what it is.

Now that I know the story behind the joke, I really, really want to see the movie.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    We'll chalk that up to "I'll believe it when I see it".

9. Those were good. I also liked the mime, the card trick, and Bob Saget. Overall, I didn't find the movie nearly as funny as I thought I would. In fact, I thought the funniest joke in the whole movie was Robin Williams' frog-rabbi joke at the end.

10. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Is it the actual retelling of the jokes that are funny, or the whole general theme? I imagined the first few versions would be good, but then it would dry up after a while. Seems to be pretty popular, though. I guess that knowing the punchline makes the whole joke funnier as well.

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, the mime and card-trick novelty tellings of it were entertaining.

i also liked the telling of it with the comedian who was out on the street at night, telling it to some guy in what looked like military(?) clothes, possibly collecting money for the salvation army.

i also liked the reversed-telling of it, by one of the female comedians, where the offensive part was the title of the act. :D

12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

some of the versions of it are hysterical, even well into the movie, where you've heard it dozens of times already.

13. yes you will.

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah I don't get?
    I've said worse things:D

Edit:
    Oh Gee, I've herd a different verson of that joke. :crying: