So what is your favorite thrill? (Outside of the bedroom)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Putting sex aside, what gives you the most satisfaction and thrill? Skiing down a steep mountain? Making a high jump on a motorcycle? Sinking a long putt? Climbing a challenging cliff face? Everyone is different.
    For me, when I was surfing a lot, it was the initial drop in on an overhead size wave and making the bottom turn on the wave face. Today, it is making a perfect smooth landing in a light plane. What is your fancy? I am sure there is a lot of variety here on TBOT.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well, although I only had 2 lessons so far, I get a thrill of Krav Maga. I've been wanting to do this self-defense sport for a while and it's amazing!

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Auto racing. While not technically legal (read: very Illegal) there is a massive thrill in light to light street racing. I do it very rarely, but when I do I get a high that lasts at least all day.

I also do track racing which is exciting, just not quite like the thrill of an unexpected, and very short, showdown on the street.

4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There's nothing quite like sitting on the starting grid for a motorcycle road race. It's an amazing combination of pure terror, pure adrenaline, and pure concentration. You know you are going to be headed into turn one with 30 other idiots who are as crazy/stupid as you are in a matter of split seconds when the flag drops. No sheet metal, no roll cage, none of that.

I don't have the time and money to do it any more, so bass playing is my thrill now.

dukeisdog and StevieMac like this.
  5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Rock climbing followed by mountain biking descents. On a scary mountain bike descent, you don't have much time to think, only time to react. With rock climbing, you get plenty of time to ponder the precariousness of your situation!

pacojas, IconBasser and Stewie26 like this.
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Playing bass in front of a large crowd always gets me going.

7. I use to some street racing in my younger days when I though I was invincible. I don''t have the stones for it now as I am afraid I might hurt someone including myself.

8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I've always been worried about the same thing, so even when I was younger I would only do it under certain circumstances. Stuff like time of day, no roads with driveways or narrow/winding road. There has been a couple times I turned down a race with something I really wanted to do battle with due to one or more of these.

Need Gigs and Stewie26 like this.
  9. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    My Chihuahuas. I have a teacup and a chorkie that live better than a large part of the population.

I also enjoy making the musicians in any group I play with extra comfortable.

10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Being strapped to the top of a 400 foot cell phone tower in the middle of a forest in the Pacific Northwest, muscling a 100 pound antenna into place with one arm while dangling from a steel beam, all while watching the sun set behind Mt. Rainier, hundreds of miles from civilization in any direction.

sigh... I kinda miss my old job...

pacojas and Technotitclan like this.
  11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    aye, that stuff is pretty fun!

12. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I get great pleasure from seeing my kids do something well.

NWB and pacojas like this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Playing a good gig with a really good band.
    Alpine Skiing.

14. I tried a thrill once.....it was awful....

Need Gigs likes this.
  15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Being all dressed up in Drag and playing the bass in front of a lot people is an incredible high, no drug, drink, sex or whatever can compare.

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    when i was a kid severe beatings did it for me! not so much the actual beat-down, just the "anxiety rush" beforehand. :thumbsup:
    oh how i miss the 50's & 60's!!!

17. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Can't buy one, either. Do it again... I know, it's dirty work, but only a fool would say that. Yes, I'm reelin'.

tangentmusic likes this.
  18. I heard there might be one in the Caves Of Altamira........

INTP likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Shooting on a 1000 yard range.

Trail blazing through the pacific coast mountains with my gal. Our last trip we encountered several sunning snakes. I loved it, my gal? Not so much.

My youngest, at 11, is fully in the musical discovery mode. We are connecting on so many levels right now. Not much has made me happier in the last decade. She has even picked up one of my basses and noodled around a bit. I'm hoping she gets the bug :)

20. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep, motorcycle racing for me as well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021