1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So what makes a bass the body or the neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by q1014, Sep 15, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    So i was thinking, if for example have a Geddy Lee sig bass take off the neck and put a new neck on its stock body is it still a Geddy Lee or if you put a new body with the stock neck is that still a Geddy Lee?? So what makes the bass the body or the neck

2. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Neither. The electronics.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Is there a 'carrots' option here?

4. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    if its necsasary :rollno: :bag: :smug:

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Seeing as the signature is on the back of the headstock - if you replace the neck I'd say it is no longer a Geddy Lee signature more of a Geddy Lee without signature!

6. what is the concept of carrots
    (sorry, poll newbie question)

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The TB version of "other than the offered choices". Don't ask why, it just is.

A bass like that loses its identity when you replace the body OR neck. Only together do they represent the original instrument. If you replace the neck, it's no longer a Geddy (the neck profile is one of the defining characteristics of that bass), it's simply a Jazz bass. If you use a non-Fender neck, you can't even call it a "Fender" Jazz bass any more. (IMO, YMMV)

8. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I never agreed with this. I don't see a p-bass body with jazz pickups being a jazz bass.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The answer is: Yes.

A bass is the sum of its parts.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Well, i belive that the neck affects the playability more.

11. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    I wouldn't mind knowing the origin either, and I've been here reading it over and over again for some time now....Or would telling us make you feel less special?

12. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    Ya its weird how we've never questioned carrots its just something we've all accepted

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The full and true knowledge of the origin of carrots is known only to the TB elders.

However young grasshopper, a clever and persistent use of the search feature may enable you to acquire elements of that secret knowledge without enduring the rigors of striving for such lofty status.

Carrots.

On topic: Both the neck and the body.

14. Searching for 'carrots' is like searching for 'bass' in TB. (But the story shows up near the top of the search results.)

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Both. End.

16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Except that it is a jazz bass. As long as it has a pair of single coils in position, wired VVT it's a jazz bass. I had a Squire 5 string P-Bass Special that was exactly like this. No P-Bass electronics, no P-Bass sound. Exact opposite with the Mark Hoppus bass. It's P-Bass electronics with a jazz body shape, so it makes a P sound.

17. Mark Hoppus sig. bass also has a P neck, strangely enough...

18. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    The person playing it...:bag:

19. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    neither.

It's the little pixie inside that defines the tone. Only by killing it and replacing it with another one you can change the bass, after the original pixiedust has worn out ofcourse, but everybody knows that.

:eyebrow: