So what model of Fender Precision has the lightest wood: swamp ash, basswood etc???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So I am thinking of getting a fender p-bass body. I already have the neck I want to put on it. In my desire to have a bass which is on the lighter side I am looking for a p-bass which is made of a lighter wood. I have heard that swamp ash, basswood, and agathis (sp?) are the lightest. Is there a version of the Fender P which uses this wood? I dont care if its a MIM or China or whatever. Even a Squire will do. Eventually, I will upgrade all the important parts.. pups, bridge etc.

I just want to get my hands on a light-ish p-bass body.

...and yes I know p-basses are inherently heavy. and no I am not interested in "other" light basses at this point.

Thanks! :)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Remember, lighter body means more neck dive. IIRC, your average P-bass body weighs a hair on the ligher side of 5 lbs. If you're not against buying a replacement body from a place like Warmoth, you can get one about 4lbs. In fact they have one in their gallery with a P/J config tipping at only 4... for $180 unfinished.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Its all in the piece of wood, their is great varience in fender wood weights.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey thanks.

That Warmoth site is cool.

Which of these woods is the lightest?

Swamp Ash

Guess it would cost more to get the bass together this way.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I have learned that the Squire Pro Tone series is ash wood. They seem hard to find though.

part of me thinks i should just save up and buy one for p-bass bodies in koa from warmoth. seems like alot of money though. I wish I could just be satisfied with what i have.:meh:
  6. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    if we were all satisfied with what we had, there'd be no gas, fender would rule the bass world by making only four and five string basses, because nobody would want any more, there would be no progress, and we'd all spend time practising instead of posting and dreaming, and we'd all be great bassists with dull personalities and tone, stay in the shadow forever, doom our future generations to dull tone, nobody would be attracted to bass, and the world of music, and then the world, would fall apart without us there to hold it up. (somebody needs to explain equipment to g****rists too, so they'd get confused and give up)

let the gas roll!!! :D