Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, what now?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pretz, Aug 14, 2005.

1. pretz

pretz

Jul 6, 2005
    Okay, I bought a jazz bass around six months ago.. since then I've learnt how to play basic tabs, I know my way around the fretboard more or less and I can generally play the stuff my teacher gives me in a few hours.

I'm not sure but i don't think I'm making too much progress, I have plenty of time to practice in.. I just don't have any kind of focus, what do I do now to get better?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You said you have a teacher? He'll make you better. Just ask him to give you more complex stuff. Start writing your own stuff. Check out loopers. I use the Boss RC-20XL. It allows you to record whatever you want and then solo over it. It helps you learn what'll work and what won't.

But seriously, just ask your teacher to challenge you. You say you play jazz so it won't be long til someone tells you to start playing Jaco's stuff. Go for it if you want to. Never really been my thing, though.

If I want a challenge, I'd try and tackle some Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, or some Primus.

-Eric.