Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what should I add to my (small) effects loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    OK, so far I have a wah-wah and a big muff. I know, I know, Tom Morrello will be afraid of me with my vast amount of effects available!!!

Anyway, both are good pedals and I've sort of mastered them - but what should I get next? I want to go for a sort of funk/rock sound, but I do a wide range of styles.

Compressor?
    Octave?
    Chorus?
    Envelope filter?
    Phaser?
    Anything else?

All comments greatly appreciated.

2. Envelope Filter

3. Actually Tom Morello only uses five effects but very tastefully and as usefully as they can be applied. Pretty smart for a guitarist. :rolleyes:

I'd have to say envelope filter, if you use it with your EH Big Muff you could get a variety of synth sounds.

To support the phrase, all you need to get synth sounds is an envelope filter, octave, and fuzz.

4. what kind of sounds can you get with a envelope filter?

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    generally auto wah type sounds (but also many others)

If you don't know what it sounds like, you don't want it. :) ;)

6. why wouldn't I want it if I haven't heard it?

when you assume, you make an beep out of u and me.:)

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Sorry to completely slow you off but:

The beep u me joke is stupid and overdone.

The answer I gave is a common one to that sort of question. All I'm saying is that if you don't know what it sounds like, why do you need it? If you hear it and want one, that's fine, but don't go looking for random things to buy.

8. OK, watch the language, please. I've been pretty leanient on it but don't curse, it's a Y7 rating here on talkbass.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    how about a sampler?

10. When you assume, you make a Donkey out of you and me. hehe...Donkey...