Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what songs should I learn first?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AndrewT, Jul 6, 2001.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey all, I get my bass tomorrow, and I was planning on learning scales and stuff first, and just screwing around playing some stuff. Any good, easy songs I should learn how to play? Twinkle twinkle little star or something? :) (That was the first song I learned how to play on violin) Thanks for any input!

2. ok heres a good startin out- Chili peppers - aeroplane or maybe classical thump by vic :) J/K!
    Uh, well what ever u like. My first was LiT - My own worst enemy, Sugar Ray - Falls Apart, 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite. Any of those are extremely easy

3. - the roof is on fire
    - stand by me

and if you can play those, continue with

- enter sandman
    - killing in the name of

good luck :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Police songs are great beginner stuff - and everybody(?) likes The Police :D

5. Look at some Everclear stuff.They usually have simple but fun basslines.

Many of the Offspring songs are rockers and are very easy/straight foreward.

Email/PM me if you would like specific titles.I`d be glad to help! :)

Usul

6. I agree, Offspring songs are pretty simple, or try Euphony, Symbolisitic White Walls or Jenni's Song by the Matthew Good Band. Warning by Green Day is easy too.

7. Pennywise-Brohymn
    Metallica-Enter sandman
    theme from Mission Impossible
    Millencolin-Fox
    Millencolin-bullion

Good Luck what kind of bass are you gettting

8. Hi Andrew and welcome to Talk Bass.

Why not try almost any 12 bar? Rock music is based on this progression. You know, Status Quo or similar. It might not be the most intricate of music but it sure gets y' feet a tappin'.

John

9. I would start with something light like Me and my bass guitar or classical thump by victor wooten ( that was just a joke,I would not even suggest looking at that until you have been playing for at least 5 years.) seriously I would learn Iron Man-Sabbath, SuperFreak-Rick James, Money-Pink Floyd, They are all easy to learn and real crowd pleasers.

10. One of the first songs I learned on bass was No Rain, by Blind Melon. And some other ones, but I can't remember what. Oh well.

11. The first ever song I learned was Smoke On The Water, and the Mission Impossible theme tune.

The best way to learn stuff is get music for artists you listen to, that way you'll enjoy playing it more.

Another good one is War Machine by Kiss...;)

12. the first song i learn was the coke acola song on tv. the second was peter gunn. but if you still make the scales number 1 on your list you will learn a lot of songs by mistakes. i was playing scales when i by chance heard i am the walus its an old song but still kind of cool to play

13. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    I got a Fender MIM fretless J-bass. There aren't many beginner fretless basses out there, and I think this one's pretty good.

14. the first one i learned was come as you are by nirvana, that's fun!!!

15. The first song I learned to play was Bulls on Parade. That really got me hooked on Tim C.'s playing. It was a really easy song, that and Bullet in your head. by RATM.

16. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Weezer is really easy, I started learning breeders songs and nirvana.

17. I found that RATM basslines are the perfect learning curve. Tim C. has very complicated slap riffs, but then slow, groovy lines too. As you progress on your instrument, you find each line within your reach.

For example: Start with 'Bullet In The Head', move onto something like 'Wake Up' then the grandaddy for slap/pop is 'Killing In The Name Of...'

18. "Daisy"

- Wil

19. StereoBassist

StereoBassist Guest

Jul 10, 2001
    Sparta, New Jersey
    the first song should be "around the world" by the red hot chili peppers, its an awesome but hard as hell song. or no doubts "spiderwebs", its not hard, but really long and hard to remember. or "journey to the end of east bay" by rancid. it's almost all bass

20. AndrewT

AndrewT

Jun 16, 2001
    Sugar Land, TX
    journey to the end of the east bay is one of my favorite songs-- I already learned how to play it. :) Fun song to play.