So What Would You Do??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tapp, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Okay, I've got this 1st generation Peavey TL-5 that I've had for 10yrs now and will absolutely never sell (it's got sentimental value being my first real bass and that a family member, who is now deceased, purchased it for me). I love the way it plays but I've always hated the electronics. This bass is the one with the proprietary humbucking passive pickups with the active preamp.

Should I keep the pickups and install a Bartolini preamp (or other; it's got plenty of knobs for a 3 band system and room in the cavity) or should I switch everything out and be done with it. Maybe somebody has experience with this bass??

thanks for any help

2. Well, you could do both, in a way. You could get a Bartolini preamp, say the NTBT and try it with your pickups. If you want more change yet, you could then change the pickups, as changing the pickups will be easier than changing the preamp.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd take it step by step. A new pickup will make much more difference than a preamp.

But if that doesn't get you near to where you want to be, then you could always spring for one of their preamps/harnesses.

BTW, be sure to keep the old components. You never know when nostalgia might make that bass a collectible.