So What

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lovebown, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    A song for some newer bassists and more experienced would be to check out the song So What on the album "kind of blue" by Miles Davis. The song is fairly easy, basically the bass plays the melody and the other instruments answer the melody. Its also quite a good song to solo to since it's virtually only in two chords.

Well... later

2. I agree. This is a great tune for someone wanting to get into some jazz. And PC is the total master of "bounce" and relaxed flowing lines.
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I agree too. For 2 years ago, I was in a jazz band and we played that song. I started by myself playing it really slowly and the the others came in and we speeded it up..I loved it!
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I've read that one would play around with D dorian during the Dm7 section, but what about the Eb part? Would an Eb dorian work just as well over the Ebm7? And how many bars is each section?
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, it would be Eb Dorian; "So What" modulates(changes key) up a 1/2 step(& then back down a 1/2 step).
    The form is-
    1)Dm7(ii chord in Cmaj)=8 bars
    2)Dm7(ii chord in Cmaj)=8 bars
    3)Ebm7(ii chord in Dbmaj)=8 bars
    4)Dm7(ii chord in Cmaj)=8 bars
    ...32 bars total.

By the way, Coltrane's "Impressions" is based on the exact same changes & concept.

By the way(Part II)-
    ...the Derek Trucks Band does an electric version of "So What"(elec guitar/bass/keys & drums)on their debut cd(I think).
  6. Ronnie Jordan did a good version also.
  7. Metallica did a cover song called So What...... Nice lyrics you could take home to your mother. lolololololol

8. Yes, they do. The bassist, Todd Smallie, throws a little twist in the intro by dropping down a octave on the 2nd and subsequent notes in the line. Sounds cool. Have a listen because my explanation probably doesn't make sense. ;)
  9. Hey Merls

Unfortunately that's a cover of the song So What by the Anti Nowhere League if i remember rightly .... so what you boring little ****

Great tune :)

10. IMO, So What is harder than a tune with a lot of changes. An inexperienced player will have a harder time knowing where he is in the form, and is more likely to sound like he's noodling around, not knowing what to do with all those measures of the same chord.